Thursday, January 24, 2013

Poem 33 - Lester Tells of Wanda and the Big Snow

Here's another great winter snow poem. Enjoy!

Lester Tells of Wanda and the Big Snow
Paul Zimmer


Some years back I worked a strip mine
Out near Tylersburg. One day it starts
To snow and by two we got three feet.
I says to the foreman, “I’m going home.”
He says, “Ain’t you stayin’ till five?”
I says, “I got to see to my cows,”
Not telling how Wanda was there at the house.
By the time I make it home at four
Another foot is down and it don’t quit
Until it lays another. Wanda and me
For three whole days seen no one else.
We tunneled the drifts and slid
Right over the barbed wire, laughing
At how our heartbeats melt the snow.
After a time the food was gone and I thought
I’d butcher a cow, but then it’s cleared
And the moon come up as sweet as an apple.
Next morning the ploughs got through. It made us sad.
It don’t snow like that no more. Too bad.


from Crossing to Sunlight

No comments:

Post a Comment