Tuesday, September 8, 2015

It's Tuesday! (9/8/15)


 
Well, it's not Monday, but I thought I'd still give you a reading update this week anyway. We had a nice three-day weekend, full of relaxing, sci fi movies, car rides, thrift store shopping, and a nice Labor Day lunch of BLTs. I got up each morning at 8:00 so I could read in a quiet house, and hubby slept in. It rained a lot, which made for perfect no-guilt reading.
 
Last week and this weekend, I finished four books. First, was my audio of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. How I adored this audiobook! I can't wait to read the others in the Flavia de Luce series.
 
Next, I finished Cara Nicoletti's Voracious, which mixes food and literature and is full of recipes to try. Each short chapter pairs a book she loved reading with a recipe for the food in the book. I enjoyed this book so much. I think most bookworms would love it. Nicoletti has a generous spirit and love of food, and she tells just enough about the book to pique your interest. You'll find some of your favorite books discussed.
 
 
I also finished Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea. I was not as enamored of this book as most folks are. I found it too ethereal to really sink my teeth into. I would have enjoyed Lindbergh giving examples from her own life to make her ideas a bit more concrete.
 
Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck was a short (3-disc) audiobook. I had trouble finding an audiobook at the library, and since I'd just read a book by Nora's sister Delia, I thought I'd give this one a try. It's a book of essays about womanhood. I really didn't enjoy her essays about aging and death, but her essays on apartment-renting in New York City and the like were fun. But in short, Nora Ephron and I have very different ideas about what "having a good life" means.
 
 
 
Currently, I'm re-reading A Good Enough Daughter. This one came out in 1999, and first I read it at that time. I'm kind of surprised I liked it so much. I guess I've changed more than I thought in the last 15 years. As Alix Kates Shulman is caring for her aging parents and going through their house to ready it for sale, she recounts her past with and without her parents. It's well-written, but there's a lot of free-lovin' affairs, feminist rhetoric, and pedantic navel-gazing.
 
I continue to pick up 180 More every night for a daily dose of poetry. It's a good collection.
 
And I started an audiobook wildcard, I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had, Tony Danza's story about being an English teacher at an inner-city public high school. I grew up with Danza on Who's the Boss (ahhh, '80s television, how I miss you), and I'm kind of a sucker for celebrity memoirs. I'm only about one disc in, and I like it so far. Danza is self-deprecating and likable, but I feel his students are about to eat him alive.


 
 
I'll be finishing A Good Enough Daughter later today, and then I'll probably pick up:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment