Monday, October 16, 2017

What I'm reading this week (10/16/17)


Last week I finished:

I read the first book in the Penderwicks series in 2015, and the second book has languished on my TBR since then. And the thing is, I really liked that first book. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to want to read the second one, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street. I was determined to remove it from the list before the end of the year, so I took it up on audio. It was genuinely enjoyable. I've found lately that my love for middle grade books has cooled. I'm not always in the mood for juvenile fiction, I guess, but this one hit the spot. With everything going on in the country right now, I was so happy to listen to a story that I knew would end right, a story of kindness and honor--Penderwick honor. This is the continuing story (there are currently four books in the series) of the four Penderwick sisters: Rosalind, the eldest who lovingly takes care of her younger sisters; Skye, the tomboy who's interested in soccer and science; Jane, who writes romantic adventure stories; and four-year-old Batty, who, with trusty Hound, insists on being a part of everything. The girls' mother dies before the first book begins, when Batty is a baby. Their father is a botany professor, always spouting Latin phrases they don't understand. In this book, the father is coerced into dating by his sister, and the girls hatch the Save-Daddy Plan to keep him from having any success at it. There are other secondary plots, too. The book isn't preachy or moralistic, but the girls always end up doing the right thing. I may have enjoyed this one even more than the first. I highly recommend these books for young girls (Amazon lists them for grades 3-7) or readers who are young girls at heart. My rating: 4 stars.

I really enjoyed my time with Jill Bialosky's Poetry Will Save Your Life. It's part-memoir/part-poetry book, with each short section containing a personal essay, one or more poems, and information about the poet. Bialosky's knowledge of poetry is nearly encyclopedic; she went through the famed Iowa Writers' Workshop, has published poetry to acclaim, and is the executive editor and vice president at W. W. Norton & Company. I've read several of her poems in the past but never a collection, and after this book, her latest poetry collection, The Players, is going on my "to buy" list. I found the balance between personal and poetic here perfect. Bialosky shows restraint in her writing, and no part went on too long or left you hanging. The poems showcased were a mixture of old friends and a few new-to-me poems. I think the trap of writing a book like this would be it feeling forced and formulaic, but this one never felt that way. I especially enjoyed the biographical information included for each poet. I wish she'd write a book of poet bios. In short, highly recommended, especially if you're a memoir AND poetry lover. My rating: 4 stars.

Here's a secret about me: I have a weakness for books made from college commencement speeches. I've read a number of them over the years, and even though I know they're the book equivalent of higher-priced roses on Valentine's Day, I've even bought a couple. I just love the cogent life lessons delivered by "people who know." So I was pretty excited to read William H. McRaven's Make Your Bed, based on his 2014 University of Texas at Austin's college graduation address. McRaven is a retired admiral of the U.S. Navy who was trained as a Navy SEAL. With that training, it's easy to believe that Admiral McRaven has a handle on what matters in life and what makes for success. The book addresses different things you can do to succeed in life...and maybe even change the world. It all begins with making your bed each morning, just as the SEALS do. Much of the advice is tough love. He tells you that you're going to suffer and you're going to fail, but if you are kind and never give up, you'll have a good life. There's been much talk lately about the millennial generation being "snowflakes" or "cupcakes" (McRaven would say "sugar cookies"), needing safe spaces away from the world in order to operate within the world. It's safe to say that McRaven would not support that ideology. It's a short book, only 125 pages, but it still took me awhile to get through it. I felt a little bogged down by the SEAL training episodes in each section and the bouncing around in time. The commencement address is printed in its entirety at the end of the book. I liked this one. I agreed with the advice, though my style of delivery would likely be different from the Admiral's. My rating: 3 stars. 


Next week I'll finish:


I didn't quite finish Killing England last week, as I'm flagging a bit on war books. Still, it's as good as all the others, especially the information surrounding the writing of the Declaration of Independence and King George III. Full review next week.

I'm also nearing the end of Notes from a Blue Bike. My interest is wavering, and I feel like I'm forcing myself through.


Next up:


Likely not a gentle read, I'm still excited to begin Land of a Thousand Hills: My Life in Rwanda.
 

This week I plan to begin:


Amazon has finally delivered the last of my October book list (5-8 day shipping turned into 16-day shipping for some reason), so I have a lot of books to begin next week, including: The Word We Used for It (poetry), Being Human (photography), and Who Gives a Hoot? (children's).
 

My current audiobook



I'm finally listening to Sully (personal account by pilot who landed the plane on the Hudson River) which I've been saving for the right time. It's even more wonderful than I'd hoped. A full review will be up next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment