Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Top 5 Middle-grade & YA Books of 2017

I read quite a bit of children's literature this year. I'm not sure I'll read nearly as much of it next year. I wanted to catch up on reading some of the kids books everyone but me has read, and also to continue in some of my favorite series. Below are my top five choices for the year.


This is the fourth in the Clementine series. I have heartily enjoyed every book in the series. They're funny, charming, and put a good emphasis on being responsible and kind.

Frankly, I was blown away by Eleanor & Park. Far from its intended audience, and unlikely to actually put it into a teen's hands, I found this book so well written it almost hurt. It's a book that gets a little intense, and there's some language, but it really did blow me away.

After reading the first book in the Penderwicks series (called The Penderwicks), I wasn't sure that I'd continue with the series. I enjoyed it, but it felt too simple to me, too perfect and without enough depth. But at one point this fall I needed a new audiobook quick, so I picked up the second in the series, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, and I liked it more than the first. Now I can't wait to go on to book three.

Waylon! Even More Awesome is the second in the Waylon series, which is a spin-off of the Clementine books (see above). I loved the first book, and I liked this one even more. It's more serious than the Clementine books, but it is another example of Sara Pennypacker at her best. She is so gifted at showing the small moments that are so big in children's lives.

Has anyone on the planet read Wonder and not liked it? Certainly not me. It's a must read for little and big alike.



No comments:

Post a Comment