Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Top 5 Poetry Books of 2017

2017 was the year of the poem for me. I read well over 2,000 poems and eighteen collections of poetry covering canonical poets like Emily Dickinson, Pablo Neruda, William Stafford, Billy Collins, Sharon Olds, and Philip Levine. I've chosen my top five reads to share with you.



William Stafford is my spirit animal. His poetry speaks to me almost like scripture. If you want to add poetry to your reading list, start with Stafford. Ask Me is the best of Stafford's work, selected by his son; he did an amazing job.

...Unless you start with Billy Collins. I'm slowly working my way through Collins' older books, and I've enjoyed Ballistics more than some others. But really, Collins cannot write a bad poem. The man is amazing.


Good Poems is a re-read for me, and I loved it as much as the first time. Garrison Keillor, regardless of what's come to light about him recently, is an amazing poetry editor.

Two of my favorite things, poetry and memoir, combine in this wonderful book. It's not exactly a happy read, but it's so well done. And it's true: Poetry will save your life.

Very much like Stafford, Max Garland's poetry excels in immortalizing the moment in a way that perfectly balances sentimentality, humility, and humor. His newest, The Word We Used for It, is wonderful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment