Tuesday, April 10, 2018

23 2018 releases I'm most excited about

I've been sitting on this post for a long time. There are so many good books that have either just come out or are coming out later this year, that I just had to share 23 I plan to buy and read.

Next in a series


I love the Kopp Sisters series, based on a real female sheriff in the early 1900s. The fourth in the series, Miss Kopp Just Won't Quit, is due out this fall.

And my literary crush Fredrik Backman is coming out with a followup to Beartown in June, Us Against You.


I fell in love with My Lady Jane this year, and the second in the series, a reimagining of Jane Eyre called My Plain Jane, comes out in June.

And the final book in the Penderwick series, Penderwicks at Last, releases in May.


Fiction
 

I read most everything Anna Qindlen writes, although I enjoy her nonfiction more. Her newest, Alternate Side, a novel, is on my list.

I gave into the hype and ordered a copy of An American Marriage. Some bloggers say it's the best book they've read this year, and some say it's overrated. I'll let you know.

From the authors of America's First Daughter comes My Dear Hamilton, which fictionalizes the only part of Hamilton I'd have any interest in.
  
 

I've been hemming and hawing over Amy Bloom's White Houses for months. I tend not to like fictionalizations of real figures (especially when the author imagines their sex lives), but I'm also drawn to them. For the record, we do not know that Eleanor Roosevelt had lesbian relationships.

After loving The Poisonwood Bible last year, I've been meaning to read another book by Barbara Kingsolver. Unsheltered comes out this fall.

From the author of the Downton Abbey companion books comes The Mitford Murders. I'm super excited to begin this one.


Memoirs
 

I gave into the hype surrounding Educated and bought a copy. For some reason it didn't appeal to me when I looked into it when it was first released, but I've heard so much buzz about it, I have to try it.

I've gotten to like Geraldo Rivera in the past decade or so (I remember him from the Al Capone's vault and Geraldo days, which was not his best work), and I'm very interested in his The Geraldo Show about his years as a war correspondent.

Although I was never a fan of Lidia Bastianich's cooking shows, she has been on my radar for decades, so I've added her memoir, My American Dream, to my TBR.


And I've added First Lady Michelle Obama's memoir, Becoming, to my list of books to read, though I can't be sure I will.
 

 
Nonfiction


Three books about politics: Eunice (biography of JFK's sister, Eunice Kennedy), Every Man a King (about American populists), and Three Days in Moscow (about Reagan and the fall of the Soviet empire).
 
 

I've meant to read something by Lawrence Wright for some time, and when I heard about his forthcoming, God Save Texas, I decided that was the book to begin with. If I were to read the biography of any state, I'd choose Texas. Wouldn't you?

And for a lighter, girlier read, One Beautiful Dream.


Poetry
 

I love Ted Kooser's poetry, so I was excited to see he has a new collection, Kindest Regards, coming out in May.

And from the author of How to Read Literature Like a Professor comes How to Read Poetry Like a Professor. It's probably time for a refresher.


Other
 

Every spring I like to pick up a book about flowers or gardening...and then not plant flowers or garden. This year it might be Martha's Flowers.

And Rick Bragg (All Over but the Shoutin') has a new cookbook coming out, The Best Cook in the World.



What's are your 2018 must haves?
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment