Monday, September 3, 2018

What I'm reading this week (9/3/18)

Happy back to school week! I figured it out recently, and this is my 25th back to school at the university where I work (and earned my degree). That's a full one-quarter of its existence! And each year, I still feel that hyper-electric buzz of excitement in late August and early September. It's the one thing that hasn't changed in my years here.


What I finished this week:

There are some books I just don't look forward to reviewing: popular books that everyone has read and loved and deemed "important" and any book about race issues. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah is both. This is the story of Nigerian immigrant Ifemlu, her various loves including her on-again-off-again boyfriend Obinze, her struggles in American, and her struggles adjusting back to life in Nigeria after returning. I'll stick here with my overall impressions. First, I think it was just too long. It wasn't necessarily boring, but it would have been a tighter story had it been shorter. Second, and relatedly, it really felt like Adichie had an exhaustive spreadsheet of race issues to address in the book, and she doggedly addressed every...last...one. Which leads to my third overall impression: this book was exhausting. It had an overall dark feeling to it, a gray cloud of discontent. I was disgusted by the dishonesty in the book--folks cheating their spouses and partners, folks cheating the government, folks cheating customers. Adultery and dishonest characters are two big turnoffs for me in fiction. All of the white characters (when Ifemelu is in America) and all of the Nigerians (when Ifemelu goes back to Nigeria) are shown to be foolish and shallow--only provocative Ifemelu is rational and has though deeply about the issues. Frankly, I just did not care for the Ifemelu. She was preachy and judgmental and shrill. I had a feeling I was supposed to appreciate her directness and intelligence, was supposed to see her as a race and feminist warrior, but I just didn't like that she had no humility in her whatsoever. Yet, in spite of all this, I liked the book. I love books about belonging (and not belonging). I love immigrant stories. I love stories set in Africa. And this book was very well written. The main characters were well-fleshed--even if the lesser characters were simpleton husks. I'd say if you've been on a college campus in the last ten years, nothing much in the book will be new to you, but this one might still make a good book club discussion, because there is so much here. So, if you like books that unpack racial issues and haven't already read it, I urge you to try it. If you're disheartened by all the polarizing race talk these days and wish folks could just come together already, this isn't a book for you. It lays bare the issues, but it never puts forth any answers. My rating: 3 stars.

Earlier this year I discovered Max Lucado's books on Christian living, and I've become hooked (read my review of Anxious for Nothing here). They are so positive, but not fluffy, so full of wisdom, but not preachy. Because Mr. Lucado and I differ in our Christian beliefs, there are points of diversion (and more in Unshakable Hope than in Anxious for Nothing), but overall, since the books are scripture-based, there is more common ground than not. Unshakable Hope is a series of promises laid forth in The Bible (such as: "Your prayers have power," and "God gets you") illustrated in Lucado's trademark way, using examples from his own life to explain doctrinal points. This book, as most/all of his others, includes questions for discussion or further study, which some folks might appreciate. It is an inspiring and wonderful book, often funny and lighthearted, and I was sorry when it ended. My rating: 4 stars.

I have always loved Jane Kenyon's poems, and frankly, I find her a more enjoyable poet than her much more famous husband, Donald Hall. I read her Collected Poems (about 350 poems) throughout the month, and I really enjoyed the experience. Her poetry falls into the "domestic poetry" camp, I'd say, and she writes about a quiet life in the country, her farmhouse, her community, and her dogs. The poems are easy to come to, often contain humor or lighter themes, and just lifted my spirits in the evenings. Her voice is easy and contented. I enjoyed this collection very much, and I'm sorry we lost her so early in her career. My rating: 4 stars.


This week I'll finish:


I don't know why it took me so long to get to this one. I am loving every word of it.


I continue with:





I'll likely finish this one this week.


Last week I began:



A couple of days ago I had a strong desire to re-read Glennon Melton's Carry On, Warrior, so I decided to squeeze it in to my September reads.

I also started Tony Hoagland's new book of poems Priest Turned Therapist Treats Fear of God and Rose Kennedy's Family Album which I found in a used bookstore this summer.


My audiobook:




I'm thinking that a magical realism plot will erupt any moment, and I'm actually looking forward to it!




No comments:

Post a Comment