Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Releases I'm Excited About


Seems like I seldom catch books on the front (pre-release) end, so in order to be an in-the-know cool kid, I’ve been lurking around on Amazon’s Coming Soon page lately. (Why did it take me so long to figure this out? Perhaps my good sense told me I had enough books to read. Good sense, I overrule you.)

Here are a few books that I’m anxiously awaiting:

 

Release date: September 17

Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing
Anya Von Bremzen

I usually get pretty turned off by books whose titles totally rip off classic books, but what can you do? This one combines my love of food and my love of learning about other countries. My reading hasn’t traveled to Russia yet this year.
 
You can read an excerpt from the book on the publisher’s website.

 

 

 
 
 
Release date: September 24

Kate Gosselin’s Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with 108+ Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions
Kate Gosselin

So, was I the only one who predicted the crash and burn of the Gosselin marriage? While I sort of miss watching the kids grow up, I’m glad their show was cancelled. I think it was best for all involved.
 
I don’t know why I’m so excited for this cookbook. I try not to buy many cookbooks, because I seldom use them, but from the preview, I think Kate might cook like I cook.
 
And maybe a part of me misses Kate irritating the heck out of me.

 

Release date: October 8

 
Dog Songs: Poems
Mary Oliver
 
The other day I was looking for a couple of Mary Oliver books to add to my poetry to read pile. I think I’ve enjoyed every one of her poems I’ve ever read, in spite of the fact that I’m not really a nature girl. In my search, I ran upon this one, and being about dogs, I’m all in.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Release date: October 29

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays: 135 Step-by-Step Recipes for Simple, Scrumptious Celebrations
Ree Drummond

I will buy and read every Pioneer Woman cookbook this woman ever produces. This is my solemn oath.

I showed my mother an episode of her show, then brought out my PW cookbooks, and she asked if I’d order them both for her. Ha. Another convert.

Pioneer Woman’s books are the only books I’ve ever bought in a BOOKSTORE for FULL PRICE.

 


 
Release date: March 4, 2014

Growing Up Duggar: The Duggar Girls Share Their View of Life inside America’s Most Well-Known Super-Sized Family
Jana, Jill, Jessa, & Jinger Duggar
 
I can’t deny that I’ve long wanted to be a Duggar girl. Now I can read all about it! I have no high expectations for the writing or even revelations of this book, but I think of the Duggar books as a visit to your great-aunt Agnes. There’s not much going on at her place, and the two of you don’t talk much about important things, but it’s a calm, comfortable, loving, place.
 
(Wanna hear me name all the Duggar kids? Josh Jana John-David Jill Jessa Jinger Joseph Josiah Joy-Anna Jedidiah Jeremiah Jason James Justin Jackson Johannah Jennifer Jordyn & Josie.)

 
 

So, that’s my list.
 
What releases are you looking forward to? And how do you find out about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment