Monday, October 14, 2013

Big Books


There are some good chunky books out right now, and I’ve added a few of them to my To Be Read shelf. I still suffer from that third-grade affliction of big books = scary, but I’m getting over it little by little.
Here are my big scary TBRs:
 



One Summer: America, 1927, Bill Bryson (528 pages)

About the happenings of the summer of 1927 including such figures as Charles Lindbergh and Babe Ruth. Bryson is always fun, so this "history book" shouldn't be too dry.
 
 
Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin, Jill Lepore (464 pages)

About Ben Franklin's sister Jane, a semi-literate mother of twelve with a head full of ideas. I've not read anything by this author, nor do I know much about 1700s America, so this should be informative.

 
 
Rose Kennedy: The Life and Times of a Political Monarch, Barbara A. Perry (416 pages)

There are SO many Kennedy books out right now, since we're coming up on the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, but this is the Kenndy book that most captured my attention.

 
 
An Autobiography, Agatha Christie (544 pages)

How excited was I when I realized Agatha Christie had written an autobiography? Ask my husband about the IM he received one morning from his memoir- and Christie-obsessed wife.

(This book came out in 2011.)
 
And a couple I’ve had on my shelf for quite a while:
 
 
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, Laura Hillenbrand (496 pages)

The font seems so impossibly small. Plus it's about war, and although WWII is my favorite period of history, I have to be in the right frame of mind for 500 pages of it. Amazon says I bought this in January of 2011. Eeeks.
 
 
 

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch, Sally Bedell Smith (688 pages)

I know next to nothing about the British monarch, so I'm anxious to read this. I've read reviews that warn of the anti-Diana sentiment. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Diana, but hearing this side of the story (much like the film The Queen), should be interesting.


What hefty books are on your TBR?



No comments:

Post a Comment