Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (Rereads)

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/
Click to link up!


It's been ages since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday post. The last several were geared toward fiction-readers, so I had to wait for one that worked for my geeky nonfiction self.


This week's topic: Top Ten Books I Want To Reread

I would love to reread more books, but with so many new books piquing my interest, I seldom get to revisit old friends. But if I did, these would be the ten I'd reread first:

 
Angela’s Ashes, Frank McCourt
I read this one summer during college and remember thinking it was simply brilliant. I credit this book with turning me on to memoirs.

How Reading Changed My Life, Anna Quindlen
I love books about reading, and this might be my favorite. I don't remember it well, and I've been hoping to read it again for awhile.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Do you know this book? It's just fabulous. Rosenthal is one of the most creative writers I've encountered. This is a memoir written in encyclopedic form.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia, Elizabeth Gilbert
Folks either love this book or hate it. I happen to love it.

A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana, Haven Kimmel
I have never laughed so hard while reading a book in my life. I must reread this one soon.

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, Anne Fadiman
I read this shortly before I taught high school English to Hmong students. It explores the Hmong culture, and I've forgotten more than I remember.

The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir, Kao Kalia Yang
Speaking of Hmong culture, this book tells the tale of Hmong immigrants. Ms. Yang was a visiting professor at my university a few years ago, and I heard her speak once. It was the single most inspiring university speech I've ever heard.

Madame Curie, Eve Curie
I read this one summer during high school, while I was a carhop. My life is full of contradictions....

Julie and Julia, Julie Powell
This book was panned, and it is universally agreed that in this case, the movie is better than the book. Frankly, I enjoyed the book (in spite of all the f-bombs). But I love the movie. I'd like to reread the book to see why so many people hated it.

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, Terry Ryan
The movie version of this book was much darker than the book was. It was a fun, uplifting book, even though there was some obvious family drama.

What are you hoping to reread soon?

2 comments:

  1. You've got two of my favorites here--I loved The Spirit Catches You and have read it a couple of times. It's a great book club book, even though a lot of people don't think on NF when they're making book club picks. And--oh my gosh--I absolutely LOVE Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life!!!! You are the first person I've encountered who has also read that book--it's so unique and just so wonderful! Now you've got me wanting to reread that one . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met anyone who's read (or heard of) Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life either.

      How I wish we lived closer. We'd make a great book club of two!! I can't find anyone around here interested in non-fiction.

      Delete