Thursday, January 14, 2016

January 2016 Reading List


Just realized that in the crush of end-of-year and beginning-of-year posts, I forgot to post this. Better late than never, even if I am half-way through the list....

Happy New Year!
 
 The madness of December falls away. A fresh, clean slate awaits!
 
Plus, I can read all the books I've been saving for my 2016 challenges.
 
Here's what's on the list this month:
 

This not only fills the chunkster autobiography challenge, but also fills the books about presidents and first ladies challenge. I've been dying to tuck into this for months. I love a wise, straight-talking, witty woman, and no one fits that bill better than Barbara Bush.
 
 
I decided my winter reading should include several fiction choices to ward off the winter blues. I hoped stories would pull me in and take me away from the cold, wet, gloomy days of a northern January. I chose Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, considered one of her best mysteries.
 
I'll also read Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety. I know next to nothing about this book other than everyone who reads it likes it.



To reach my goal of reading 1,000 poems this year, I know I'll have to keep on it, so I'm beginning the year with Mary Oliver's new Felicity, which will likely win my vote for "best book cover" this year. 
 
And since In the Heart of the Sea is now a major motion picture, I decided to read the book version. I figured dull ole January needed an adventure story.

 

One of the books I've been looking most forward to reading soon is Ruth Reichl's memoir/cookbook My Kitchen Year. I'll read anything Reichl puts out, but I'm especially looking forward to this one.
 
And for a bit of fun, I'm reading (yes, for the first time) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe from the Chronicles of Narnia series.



For my audiobook, I chose Matthew Goodman's Eighty Days. More adventure for January!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment