Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (best 2016 releases so far)


This week the ladies at The Broke and the Bookish are asking for our top ten favorite 2016 releases so far. Well, I've read exactly 10 books released in 2016, so I'll give you a list of all of them, with a short explanation of what I thought.

Link your post up here.


99 Poems: New & Selected by Dana Gioia
One of my favorite poetry books read this year. Lots of form poems that don't make you hate poetry.  

A Doctor in the House: My Life with Ben Carson by Candy Carson
Not a stellar book, but it did what it meant to do very well. You get a full picture of the Carson family, their faith, and Ben and Candy's marriage. Candy is such a generous person, and the portrait of her husband is a very loving one.

Dead Presidents by Brady Carlson
One of my favorite books about presidents. Period. 

First Women: The Grace and Power of America's Modern First Ladies
by Kate Andersen Brower
I haven't quite finished this, but I'm prepared to say it's one of my favorite reads of the year.


Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson,
Nixon, and Ford by Clint Hill
Another of my favorite books about presidents. I highly recommend this wonderful book (as well as the other Clint Hill & Lisa McCubbin books).

Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen
This book really affected me when I read it, but it's since faded away to almost nothing.

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli
I think the lessons were much too brief for me to feel like I took anything away from them.

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
by Marie Kondo
Don't bother with this book if you've read her The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up. There's nothing new here except for weirdly juvenile drawings of bunnies folding things.

The Summer before the War by Helen Simonson
One of the best novels I've read.

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
I was just not impressed by this book. I feel bad saying that, but it's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment