Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What I've added to my TBR lately

The good books just keep on coming, I tell you. I've never seen a year like this--every one of my favorite authors has come or is coming out with a new book this year. Plus, I'm running into intriguing books--new and backlist--every day that I must read, and now. Here's a sampling:


 
Nonfiction


First up, two chunkster nonfiction reads that I'm adding to my shelves this month. Patient H. M. is an intriguing look at a man who loses his short-term memory after a botched lobotomy. The kicker is, the author's grandfather is the doctor who performed the lobotomy. The Oregon Trail came out last year, but just recently was released in paperback. The author braves the trail the old-fashioned way. I think this might be great on audio.  


The Girls of Atomic City has been on my TBR for awhile, but I recently bought a used copy, so I'm recommitting to reading it. It's about the stateside women who helped win World War II (though I'm not sure they were even told what they were doing). Hidden Figures is about the African-American women, gifted in mathematics, who helped win the space race.



I'd never heard of The Eighty-Dollar Champion until The Perfect Horse (to be released Aug. 23) came onto my radar. Written by the same woman, they're a pair I'm anxious to read. (Though can they even hold a candle to my beloved Seabiscuit?)


Another book that's been on my TBR awhile is All Roads Lead to Austen. I'd put off reading it until I'd read all of Jane Austen's major novels, and now I'm ready to go on the journey to Latin America with Ms. Smith to discuss the books in espanol. Michael Perry, one of my favorites, is releasing a book of his essays, Roughneck Grace, in September. I'm in! And I love books about grammar and punctuation, so I've added But Can I Start a Sentence with "But"? to my TBR list. It's a book of editing and word nerd questions and answers to the University of Chicago Press.  


And because Dana Perino is one of my favorite people on earth, and because I love dog books, and because it takes nothing more than that for me to buy a book, I'm geeking out over her October release Let Me Tell You about Jasper... 


Fiction


(So, is aqua the hot book color the last couple years or what?!)

I'm committing to read All the Light We Cannot See next year. I've bought my copy and everything.

Okay, so have you heard about Lily and the Octopus? Well, it's hard to hear much, because readers agree the plot can't be revealed without spoiling the book. It's one of those the-joy-is-in-how-it-all-unfolds books. This intrigues me enough to want to read it. Plus, Doxie on the cover, Doxie on the cover!

I bought a copy of Where'd You Go, Bernadette at Savers the other day, and I added it to my 2017 books list.


Visual books


I'm always on the lookout for new home decorating books, and I think I've found a good one. House in the Country shows a built-new-to-look-old Milbrook, New York house, and from what I can see, it's gorgeously traditional and full of color.

I've also added 50 Artists You Should Know to my list, because I so loved 50 Paintings You Should Know.
 
 
Children's/YA


I've decided to add Eleanor & Park to my 2017 reading list, too. Although the story doesn't particularly interest me, I've just read too many people who say they love it to not try it. Finally.

And because I love to learn new domestic skills to fill in the gaps I've forgotten in the last few decades of domestic life (yes, I'm from the--probably last--generation who actually had wood shop and home ec. in school), the kids book The Useful Book goes on the list. Plus, I want to learn once and for all how to fold a goll-darn fitted sheet.
 
 
 
 Have you read any of these? What did you think? Comment below.
  
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Ooohhh... It's so much fun seeing what other people are reading. I have a list of six books right now (five non-fic, one fiction) that I need to read, which is probably the most "books for review" that I've ever had at one time. Normally I just choose a book randomly to read when the one I'm working on is done.
    Aidyl from Noveltea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing what other folks are reading too, and learning how they choose books. I used to choose books randomly, but now I choose books a month at a time. It's a system that works for me, but it might drive other folks crazy. :)

      Delete