Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: What I've added to my TBR lately


Nonfiction


I'm unsure if I'll get to Les Parisiennes any time soon, being completely burned out on World War II stories at present. This is the story of the women of Paris during the Nazi occupation. Likely not an uplifting read.

Dava Sobel's Longitude probably has the distinction of being on my TBR list longer than any other book. I added it when I was in college taking my technical editing courses. It's a short, short book, but I still have not cracked the cover. Perhaps to assuage the guilt a bit, I've added her upcoming (out Dec. 6) The Glass Universe to my list. It's about the women of the Harvard Observatory who "measured the stars."
 

Did you know Anne Lamott has a new book coming out next April? Onto the list goes Hallelujah Anyway, because I could use a little mercy in my life.

And Mary Oliver has a new collection of nature essays out called Upstream. I love that cover.
 
 
Presidents


I've been courting Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure for a couple of years now. There's something about Truman that fascinates me, and this story about him and Bess taking a road trip after his presidency strikes me as a good romp. I mean, look at the cover photo!

Worst. President. Ever. is a recent release explaining why James Buchanan is generally agreed to be the country's worst president. I've just got to know.

 
Fiction


So, it's no surprise to see Amy Stewart's follow-up to Girl Waits with Gun, Lady Cop Makes Trouble, on the list given how much I enjoyed Girl. Maybe I'll try to sneak it in before the end of the year.

The paperback edition of The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper comes out in January (I adore this paperback cover), and I'm putting it on my 2017 fiction reading list.

 
Poetry


In some poetry workshop long ago someone compared my poetry to William Stafford's, and he's been a favorite ever since. I plan to buy his Ask Me: 100 Essential Poems, edited by his son, Kim, for my 2017 poetry challenge.

I've only read a handful of John Updike's poems, so I'm adding his Selected Poems to my list.
 
 
Decorating


Anyone remember Vern Yip from Trading Spaces? Well, he's come out with a new decorating book that looks pretty good called Vern Yip's Design Wise.

And I've long been looking for a tutorial for mixing colors, patterns, and textures in home design and my wardrobe, so I picked up Living with Pattern recently to see what it has to offer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment