Thursday, August 10, 2017

What I'm excited about for the rest of 2017

After the dearth of summer book releases, I'm gearing up for the late-summer and fall releases. There are some good things coming. I've written about some of these in past posts, but I'll include them again for a more comprehensive list.



AUGUST


I haven't read a lot of Jill Bialosky's poetry, but I'm excited to check out her memoir, Poetry Will Save Your Life. It will, you know.

And I've been craving a good decorating book lately, and I've stumbled upon A Place to Call Home. I think it might fit the bill. I love the stateliness of southern decorating.


SEPTEMBER


The third book in the Kopp Sisters series, Miss Kopp's Midnight Confessions, will be out in September. These are fun books.

Gretchen Rubin's newest book, The Four Tendencies, will be out soon. This is a book about her personality framework.

And the first of Michael Perry's two fall releases, Danger: Man Working, will be out in September, too. I love writers writing about writing.


I've long been interested in the unlikely presidency of Chester Arthur. (And if that wasn't about the nerdiest statement I've ever posted on this blog...) He assumed the presidency after James Garfield was assassinated in the late 1800s. Nothing more that a political figurehead, no one expected him to do well, but he surprised them all. The Unexpected President tells the story.

And Maddie is back! If you missed the first book of Maddie photos, Maddie on Things, you should look up a copy. Or, visit the photographer's Instagram for beautiful photos of the most pose-able dog. This second book is titled Maddie Lounging on Things.


Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard's Killing England will also be released next month.

As will Anne Bogel's Reading People, another personality framework book. Anne is the host of the brilliant podcast, What Should I Read Next?

The Last Castle is the story of the Biltmore House in North Carolina, which I've always wanted to tour.


OCTOBER


October starts out with a couple of good children's books: Who Gives a Hoot? and The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street.



I'm kind of a celebrity cookbook junkie. And I've always thought Valerie Bertinelli was cute as a button, and now that she has a cooking show, we know that she can cook. Valerie's Home Cooking is out in October.

Mary Oliver has a new collection of poetry coming out titled Devotions. This is selected works and clocks in at 480 pages.

And because I can't get enough of dogs and photography, Canines of New York! Put a doxie on the cover, and I'm sure to buy it.
 


Favorite poet, my former professor, and former Wisconsin state laureate, Max Garland, will be releasing another book of poetry this fall, The Word We Used for It.

Amy Tan is back with a writer's memoir, Where the Past Begins. I cannot tell you how excited I am for this one!

And the one and only Chip Gaines has a book coming out called Capital Gaines. Who likes his new rough-hewn look?
 

I occasionally watch Oprah's Super Soul Sunday (in spite of the name) when my favorite authors appear on it. Oprah's releasing The Wisdom of Sundays, compiling what she's learned from these programs into a book. Depending on how touchy-feely this one is, I'll pick up a copy.

And my all-time favorite cookbook writer, Ree Drummond (aka Pioneer Woman), is coming out with another yummy cooking this fall titled Come and Get It!


And because it's proven that I'll read any book put out by a member of the Bush family, I'll be reading Sisters First, but George W. Bush's twins, Jenna and Barbara.

I'll be enjoying even more presidential history this fall with Inside Camp David.

And lastly for October, the second Waylon book, Waylon! Even More Awesome, by the author of the wonderful Clementine books.


NOVEMBER


The second Mike Perry book, Montaigne in Barn Books, comes out this November.

One of my all-time favorite authors, A. J. Jacobs, will be releasing It's All Relative, showing, I think, how we're all more related than we thought. November can't come soon enough!

And because I have a thing for fundamentalist Mormon (FLDS) escape stories, I'll likely be checking out Breaking Free (aren't they all titled Breaking Free?) the story of one of Warren Jeff's daughters escaping from the cult.
 

 
And that's all I know about right now.

What would you add to the list?
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment