Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Favorite Things of 2017

Every year I post a list of my favorite things of the year, big things and little things that made me exceptionally happy. This year's list is a little longer than usual, which I guess means I have a lot to be thankful for.

In no particular order....


1. dance workout
This year my husband decided to change his workout routine from a circuit of the three workout machines in our basement (plus weightlifting) to a dance workout. And in a move to surprise us all, I decided to do it too. And I love it! Now, if you'd have asked me what thing I would be least likely to do in front of others, I would have told you "dance," and I still might, but doing it alone, in a separate part of the basement as my husband, it's fine. We aren't dancing routines or anything, and neither of us are trained or know the first thing about dancing. We just improvise to music for 20 minutes (and I hold light hand weights, too). Our favorite dance music? Anything by Michael Jackson, "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars, and "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. 

2. taking our grandson to Chicago.
Chicago is our city. We love going there. I can't recall how many times we've been, perhaps six?, but this was the first time my grandson Bo was there while he was big enough to enjoy it (he was there when he was about seven months old). At 11, we figured was the perfect size for a trip like this. Old enough to really get something out of the different attractions, but still young enough to think a trip with Grandma and Grandpa was kind of cool. We went in early May, and hit all the museums (not a big hit with Bo), Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Trump Tower for lunch (very good), and Bo even took a dip in Lake Michigan. Twice. Willis Tower was Bo's favorite, and we braved walking out on the glass ledges (103 flights up). I'm horrifically afraid of heights, but for some reason, this did not bother me at all. It was a great trip, and we made some wonderful memories to cherish.

3. hiring a lawn guy
We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into buying a house on a half-acre corner lot with 18 mature trees including several towering maples. We detest yard work and snow-shoveling. But this summer when we decided to remove the front yard's crabgrass infestation BY HAND, and then I FAINTED on the garage floor, I/we said that's it, we're hiring someone. Already the company we hired saved us from raking and bagging 40 bags of fall leaves, so money well spent.

4. putting on my pajamas early almost every night
It's the little things. After I get home from work, empty my work bag, do dishes, deal with the mail, make the bed, work out, I'm ready for a little comfort, and nothing speaks comfort to me better than putting on my pajamas early, like, even before eating supper. Pajamas are my love language.

5. Brad and Tasha’s wedding
My brother Brad got divorced shortly after I got married 15 years ago. He's dated several women in that time, but recently, he found The One. And he married her this summer. Tasha is a wonderful girl who brings levity and fun to our family. Also, she brings nieces, and another nephew. They have five teenagers between them. (Brad and Tasha in the middle; their three boys, Nate, Collin, and Aaron, in front; and their girls, Madison and Kyla, on the ends.)




6. nitrite-free and nitrate-free hotdogs
I have a lowbrow culinary confession: I love hotdogs. And not the all-beef organic fancy-pants kind. I like the cheap ones that are the texture of bologna by the company who's first name is O-S-C-A-R. And now that beloved company has come out with nitrite-free and nitrate-free hotdogs and bologna, and I'm in heaven. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what I eat, but I still want to eat less chemicals and preservatives, and I'm so happy with my -free dogs. In addition to pajamas, salty pseudo-meat is my love language.

7. Content Promotion committee
This year at work, a lightning bolt idea hit me: the library needs a committee that brings our library to the campus community, that shows off what we have and who we are. And out of this, the Content Promotion Committee was formed. We have a great group of enthusiastic, creative, readerly folks who say yes to trying new things. It's been a joy working on this committee. And doing theme book displays.

8. charity
I've been wanting to give more to charitable causes, and we've stepped up our charitable giving this year, but I also really like to see the effects of my giving, to give to folks I know or can interact with. This year I pushed myself WAY out of my comfort zone and asked a woman in line at Goodwill who was watching the register tally and telling the cashier to put some things back if I could buy those things for her kids. All three of us, the woman, the cashier, and I, were near tears and shaky as we interacted. I also bought books for a little girl from a vlog I watch. You utter the words "it's hard to keep her in books" and I'm there buying a whole boxful. I hesitated giving these examples, because I don't want praise, I just know we all want to do more but have trouble finding the need and filling it. Maybe my examples will help others be someone's angel.

9. our 15th anniversary
Fifteen sweet years of getting to know someone deeper and deeper, of laughing and sighing and explaining and trying with someone. I couldn't imagine spending my life with anyone else.

10. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries
You guys, I've become one of those women. One of those women who is so tired of the sex and violence and immoral situations in TV and movies, that I've turned to the Hallmark channel(s) for my viewing pleasure. I discovered the Garage Sale Mysteries series starring Lori Loughlin, and the Christmas movies which are all exactly alike, but that's kind of why I love them.

11. No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series
I have devoured the first four books in the series, and I look forward to the next 14 books. I've listened to these on audio, and the narrator is very, very good. If I ever read one, I'm sure I'll hear her voice reading it to me.


12. The Writer’s Almanac poem-a-day
As you know, I've been reading a lot of poetry this year, and not all of it has been from books. Early this year I signed up for The Writer's Almanac poem-a-day, selected by Garrison Keillor, who is a brilliant poetry editor. I have loved almost every single selection. Unfortunately, this joy came to an abrupt end a couple of weeks ago when Keillor's past caught up with him. With all the junk coming to my in box, I truly miss this email. 






No comments:

Post a Comment