Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (books that make me cry)


http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html


This week's topic: Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry

Although I’m a crier, I don’t tend to cry much when reading. So I can’t really give you ten books that will make you weep, but I do have ten that might make you at least mist up. The books that truly make me cry do it with one of two things: (1) they describe something I’ve been feeling for years better than I can, or (2) they discuss dying animals.

So, here are my top ten, in the order that I read them over the past several years:

 
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
A flawlessly written account of a bleak childhood.

Marley and Me, John Grogan
Aforementioned dying animal.

The Geography of Love, Glenda Burgess
A woman loses her husband to cancer.

Cold Tangerines, Shauna Niequist
One of the crying-from-relief-of-shared-experience reads.

Happens Every Day, Isabel Gillies
A blow-by-blow dissolution of a marriage.

Bloom, Kelle Hampton
About the birth of her daughter who was born with Down syndrome.

The Good Good Pig, Sy Montgomery
A story about a pig. But the story near the end about her friend’s “last pig” will tear your heart out. I cried out loud. Buckets of tears.

The Color of Rain, Michael & Gina Spehn
Not a great book, but the pain of them each losing a spouse is raw.

Heaven is Here, Stephanie Nielson
I ended up crying with her, not for her. Check out her blog.

Carry On, Warrior, Glennon Melton
This is one of those books where I found myself crying. I didn’t even know I was crying. My husband and I went to hear her speak last year, and we both had tears in our eyes. She can articulate your life better than you can. Trust me.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! I blanked on the title of Marley and Me as I wrote my post, but it definitely made me cry. I can't stand hurt animals. Here's mine if you want to stop by

    ReplyDelete