Thursday, September 21, 2017

25 books I've added to my TBR

Here is what I've recently been excited to add to my To Be Read list.

Fiction


I guess I'm on a default mission to read all of Agatha Christie's mysteries. I've added two more to my reading list: Death on the Nile (because I'm kind of on an African kick lately) and 4:50 from Paddington (because it was a good Kindle deal).


I've been wanting to try a Richard Russo book, and I'd been kicking around which one when I ran across Empire Falls at Savers the other day. Guess I'll start there.

Because I so enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, I've added Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior and Prodigal Summer to my reading list, too.



I recently bought The Dry after Anne Bogel raved about it. I have yet to open it, though.

And I've long wanted to read something by Rosamunde Pilcher, so I finally settled on The Shell Seekers.



And added to my list of "some day" reads, is Anna Karenina and Lonesome Dove. A library student told me once it was her favorite book, and that intrigued me so much I finally bought a copy. Now to actually sit down and read the big ole doorstop.


Memoirs


After reading The Spirit of St. Louis recently, I was reminded that I had two unread (I think) books by Charles Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh's daughter Reeve. One is a memoir of growing up in the famous household (Under a Wing), the second is a memoir of her mother's last days (No More Words), and I hope to read them in order to get to Forward from Here where she discusses her father's multiple families. None of these is long, but I have been carrying around the first two for years.
 

And because I just adored Homer Hickam's memoir Rocket Boys, I've added the follow-up memoirs The Coalwood Way and Sky of Stone of my TBR. I can't wait for these!


And for something a bit lighter... I think I remember a copy of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small (stories from a country vet) and Paper Lion (a man attempts to become a pro quarterback) on my father's bookshelf growing up. Both sound like fun to me. And I'm also including Jonathan and Drew Scott's memoir It Takes Two: Our Story. The Scott twins are HGTV celebs.


I picked up a copy of Elie Wiesel's Night at Goodwill the other day. I've been circling the chair on this one for awhile, being about living through a Nazi concentration camp, but maybe it's time to read it.

And for some reason I skipped right over Michael Perry's From The Top, a set of essays (I think). It's ridiculous that I haven't read this one yet.


Nonfiction


American Fire came out recently, but although it's on my list, I have yet to pick up a copy.

Since I enjoyed Thomas C. Foster's How to Read Literature Like a Professor, I've bought copies of both How to Read Novels Like a Professor and Twenty-Five Books That Shaped America.


Poetry
 

When I finished Pablo Neruda's Odes to Common Things recently, I wanted more, so I bought All the Odes, over 800 pages in both English and Spanish. That oughta do it. 

I also ran across a number of Louis Jenkins poems recently that I really loved, so I've added both Before You Know It and North of the Cities to my wish list.
 
 
Decorating


And last but not least, I recently snapped up a copy of William Yeoward at Home. No, I don't know who William Yeoward is, but I do enjoy his decorating style, and I'm dying for some good decorating books again.



No comments:

Post a Comment