Friday, November 16, 2018

Nonfiction November 2018 - week 3


Nonfiction November is back! I love participating, and if you want to too, you can find more information here. Each week there is a new nonfiction post prompt. This week, it's talking about being an expert.


Week 3: Be The Expert/Ask the Expert/Become the Expert: Three ways to join in this week! You can either share three or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).


Well, I can't think that three books about any topic can make you an expert, but I'm going to go with it and, in honor of Michelle Obama's new memoir, call myself an "expert" on first ladies. I've read more books about presidents than first ladies, but I think I did either presidents or the Kennedys last year. While I still have a long ways to go in my first lady reading, here are some of the first lady biographies and memoirs I've read in the past few years and really enjoyed.



One of my favorite books read this year. Very engaging, never boring.

 

Three compilation books, the first presenting stats on the first ladies, the second examining first ladies from Jackie Kennedy to Michelle Obama, the third written by White House chief usher J. B. West discussing working for the first ladies from Eleanor Roosevelt through Pat Nixon.

 


Some of my favorite biographies of Jackie Kennedy (all using real black and white photos for their covers, something I didn't realize until I saw them all together here).

 

And finally, a rather straightforward biography of Bess Truman by her daughter Margaret, and memoirs by Barbara and Laura Bush.


What I plan to read soon:
 

Two very different first ladies: Michelle Obama and Nancy Reagan.


Have you read any books about first ladies you think I'd enjoy? Please leave me a comment below!

6 comments:

  1. cool idea. I don't think I have read any on modern first ladies. But on Josephine, Marie-Antoinette, if you think that counts!
    My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/11/14/nonfiction-november-2018-expert-on-books-on-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'll go check out your post now. I love books about books!

      Delete
  2. Great topic! The only one I've read is First Women, but there are several others here I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do check them out. The only one that's a bit slow is the Bess Truman biography. The rest are quite engaging, even though some are long.

      Delete
  3. I think Tina at booksaremything.blogspot.com wrote on the same topic, so you might check out her list for some ideas of books that might interest you. You've both reminded me that I really want to get to First Women, because I enjoyed the author's previous book, The Residence, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out! I loved First Women. She has a third book, too, about vice presidents called First in Line.

      Delete