Thursday, December 20, 2018

18 Stinkers of 2018

Most years (I guess I skipped last year), I compile a list of "stinkers," books that I had strong negative feelings about or that did not measure up to my expectations based on either the author's previous work or the publishing hype surrounding the book. These aren't necessarily the books I liked least, and they aren't necessarily even ones that are poorly written, to make my list they just had to disappoint me in a pretty big way.




The Alice Network, Kate Quinn

I really didn't like this book. I found it poorly written, unbelievable, and the foul language and immorality and sex scenes and violence made me sick to my stomach. I should not have finished it.


Alternate Side, Anna Quindlen

This one wasn't bad, but it was sorely disappointing. The tone was so heavy and foreboding. I generally like Anna Quindlen books, though admittedly, I like her nonfiction more than her fiction, but this one disappointed me. We were supposed to think it was about race relations, but the story was really in the bitter deterioration of a marriage.

America's First Daughter, Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie

Wow, I really did not like this book. It read like an anti-white man screed, and it did the thing I most detest authors doing: using current-day standards to examine the past. Unforgivable. 


Code Girls, Liza Mundy

See above. Only instead of "anti-white man," substitute "anti-man."

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon

This one was much darker than I anticipated. I didn't care, nor was I prepared for, the tone or the dark situations. I didn't like the characters, either. I can't fathom why it's so popular.

Dear Mrs. Bird, AJ Pearce

Another World War II book about women not getting their due. Or something.


The Dollhouse, Fiona Davis

Fine for "chick lit" but I found it absolutely lacking in subtlety. I doubt I'll try another Fiona Davis book.

Educated, Tara Westover

Oh, you're firing up the hate comments now, aren't you? I really debated including this here because it wasn't a bad book, and it was well-written, and it was beloved by all, but I found it needlessly unsettling. There was no resolution, and I felt emotionally manipulated by it. I think it was likely written ten years before the author was ready.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, Gail Honeyman

This is hands down my least favorite book of the year--that's #1 out of 180 books. I know I'm almost alone in my dislike, but I detested this book.

Endurance, Scott Kelly

I didn't care for the weird macho tone of this one. I like manly men with interesting jobs, but had this guy tried to hit on me, I wouldn't have given him the time of day. He's a hero, but to me he wasn't likable.

For You, Mom. Finally. Ruth Reichl

I love Ruth Reichl's writing, but I really didn't like this book about her mother.


The Geraldo Show, Geraldo Rivera

Talk about macho egomaniac. Puke.

Lab Girl, Hope Jahren

This one was just too...weird. Something seemed not quite right here.

Pretty in Plaid, Jen Lancaster

I love Jen Lancaster's books, but this one was definitely not my favorite. It was at least a third too long, and younger Jen grated on my nerves.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Oh my gosh I never thought this one would end up on my stinkers list. Had you asked me last year what my three favorite books were, Pride and Prejudice would have been number one, but it just did not stand up on the re-read. I was shocked and saddened.

Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel

I know this book is a favorite for many, but I found it intensely annoying. And bleak. It wasn't poorly written (though it wasn't stellar, either), but I didn't like any of the characters or situations, and it was hilariously diverse. It tried way too hard, and it accomplished almost nothing.

The Undressing, Li-Young Lee

I have a complex relationship with Li-Young Lee's work. I've been reading him as long as any poet, but his poems are often too inaccessible. This book was full of those.

The War that Saved My Life, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Oh wow did I dislike this book. I could not condone giving this one to a young girl. So much abuse, the hinting at lesbianism, its oversimplified and unbelievable plot. Yuck.


What books made your naughty list this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment