Wednesday, December 30, 2020

10 Stinkers of 2020

And I'm back! I don't know that there's much I can say about my months away other than in a year in which anything can and did happen, I needed to check out of social media for awhile to guard my sanity. This year was good to me, full of growth both spiritually and mentally, but only because I shielded myself from certain influences. I've decided, at least for now, to not expound on my feelings of the past year, partly because there's nothing that I could say that hasn't been said better by others, and partly because I don't like adding to the cacophony. I will say, however, that my plan for 2021 is to come back here. I don't know that I'll go back to full reviews for every book I read, because that's just too exhausting at present, I do hope to do weekly posts of some kind. 

For now, though, I will try to catch you up on some of my reading from the last year. Enjoy. Leave a kind comment. 

***

It's time for my yearly "stinkers" list. To reiterate, these are not the worst books I read in 2020, and not necessarily even bad books. What they are is books that disappointed me. Some of my favorite authors are on this list, authors who've written books that have appeared on my "best of" lists in the past. I had a hard time narrowing the list down, because I ran into many books this year that were either "meh" or sloppily written or just not for me, but these ten titles let me down in a profound way.


Me, Elton John
I had really high hopes for Elton John's memoir. I thought it would be fascinating, but while I found it well-written, I was turned off my so many things in it. And the drama queen persona was exhausting.


Triggered, Donald Trump, Jr.
Occasionally, I like to enter the echo chamber of conservative politics and indulge in a book by a high-profile Republican. I don't know why I do this, because I invariably dislike the book. This one, though, I couldn't even finish. It was so mean-spirited, I had to put it down. We can disagree without hating.


Kopp Sisters on the March, Amy Stewart
I love the Kopp Sister series, of which this is number five. But I was disappointed by this installment. There were too many new characters, and the sisters seemed to take a backseat to them.


My Calamity Jane, Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
I was so disappointed with this one, I'll think twice before picking up another in this or additional series. I was so put off by the politically correct rhetoric, the heavy-handed "teaching" moments, the odd drops of activism. Blech. The indoctrination of girls was so evident, I was appalled. 


The Lincoln Conspiracy, Brad Meltzer
I love Brad Meltzer, though I think this is the first book I read by him. I've watched him speak on C-SPAN, and he's hilarious and engaging. But this book was rather boring. I enjoyed hearing him talk about the book more than I enjoyed reading the book. Doesn't mean I won't try his other books, though.


My Wife Said You May Want to Marry Me, Jason B. Rosenthal
I love Amy Krouse Rosenthal. No book is ever going to do her generous spirit justice. I found this book by her husband a little too expected, too commercial, too polished. And when it was all over, I sort of resented this book.


The Plus, Greg Gutfeld
I LOVE Greg Gutfeld. Period. But this book of "self help for people who hate self help" was so pedestrian. He has a first-rate mind, and this was not first-rate material. The book didn't bring up anything I hadn't already considered or adopted in my life, and I don't remember anything about the book these many months later. Still, I LOVE Greg Gutfeld. 


The Golden Tresses of the Dead, Alan Bradley
This is the last, and presumably final, book in the Flavia de Luce series, of which I'm a huge fan. My disappointment here is that if it is indeed the end for Flavia, I would have liked some closure. I'm not like my husband who likes it when television series ends with a "normal" last episode. I want the curtain call with all the characters holding hands and bowing. Bradley didn't let Flavia bow. Still, I'm excited to know what Mr. Bradley might give us next.


Daughter of the Heartland, Joni Ernst
Like I said above, sometimes I enter the political echo chamber, and memoirs are usually a safe bet for me, but this one, whew, I did not like. I was too dense to realize this was being released in an election year, for a reason. Why is a combat veteran stopping to playing the victim card? Is her record not enough to re-elect her? Bah!


Welcome to the United States of Anxiety, Jen Lancaster
I love me some Jen Lancaster. I usually eat her books up. And I feel like a jerk adding this to the list, but this one blindsided me. I just did not see it coming. Usually, Lancaster's books are hilarious and irreverent and charming-with-edge. But here Lancaster has gone serious--footnotes and everything. Not a bad book, and good for her for writing what she wants, but not what I pick up Lancaster's books for. If Jen goes serious, who's left for a conservative gal with a sense of humor?




No comments:

Post a Comment