Monday, February 1, 2021

What I'm reading this week (2/1/21)

Last week I finished:

Big Stone Gap, Adriana Trigiani

Ya'll, this book was just not for me. I listened to the audio, read by the author. My hopes weren't particularly high, but I'm not sure it even reached those. I have nothing against "fluff" or romance, but it has to be well-written fluff or romance, and this just wasn't. I know a lot of folks love this book and the southern fiction series it starts, but count me out. My rating: 3 stars.

Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire, Jen Hatmaker

This is a re-read for me. I read the book last year, and this time I listened to the audio, read by the author. I generally like Jen Hatmaker, but I'm just not into activist Christianity, and there was just too much talk of it here. There's some good advice throughout, but I found myself bored by all the secular Christianity and the lack of spiritual truth. Still, it's earnest, honest, and funny. My rating: 4 stars.

Greek to Me, Mary Norris

I recently re-read (listened to, this time), Mary Norris' Between You & Me, which I really like, and I decided to pick up her Greek to Me (the cover is so lovely), even though I'm not particularly interested in Greek culture, mythology, or language. And I decided that having that interest really is a prerequisite to enjoying this book. In generally, I was bored to tears, but I didn't realize this until I was so far in I thought I might as well finish it. If you love all things Greek, or want to learn more, this is the book for you. But if not, skip it. My rating: 2 stars.

It's Never Too Late, Kathie Lee Gifford

This is the first book I've ever read and immediately started reading again. Some of the magic wasn't there the second time around, but it's still a gem. I want my whole year to be filled with treasures like this to make me laugh and cry and stretch. 



This week I'll continue with:


 I'll be finishing this one this week. It's been quite a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment