Monday, March 31, 2014

March 2014 Recap - March (Reading) Madness




It’s been a good month, reading-wise. (Can’t say the same for the weather, although the unrelenting lion of a winter seems to be mellowing into a lamb, at least somewhat. It’s supposed to be in the high 50s today. Then freezing again tonight. So, maybe a ferocious lamb.)

During the university’s spring break, I took three days off to read. There’s no better way to use all that vacation than reading days!

I finished 12 books this month. And I’ll likely never do it again!
 
I'll recap each with a one-word review (until the full-length reviews are posted).

 

Nonfiction




Seabiscuit, Laura Hillenbrand
Phenomenal


Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott
Friendly


Manage Your Day-to-Day, Jocelyn K. Glei (Ed.)
Sophisticated


Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand
Life-affirming


Growing Up Duggar, Jana, Jill, Jessa, & Jinger Duggar
Approachable


Daring Greatly, Brene Brown
Unnecessary

 

Cookbooks



Sunny’s Kitchen, Sunny Anderson
Yummy


Cooking Comically, Tyler Capps
Edgy

 

Classics



Persuasion, Jane Austen
English-y

 

Children’s



The Year of Billy Miller, Kevin Henkes
Sweet


Clementine, Sara Pennypacker, Marla Frazee (Ill.)
Uproarious

 

Photography



Underwater Dogs, Seth Casteel
Inspired

 

 

My two favorites were both of Laura Hillenbrand books: Seabiscuit and Unbroken. I finished Unbroken before someone told me it was being made into a movie. But I would have expected as much. It’s phenomenal. Although I might have preferred Seabiscuit just because it was more palatable.

 

 
I started and didn’t finish two books: My Life in Middlemarch and Johnny Carson. My Life in Middlemarch wasn’t a bad book, it just didn’t grab me. It was much too academic to be very interesting. Scholars and George Eliot devotees would enjoy the book, I think. I only read 20 pages or so of Johnny Carson before calling it quits. I grew up with Carson, and he was well-respected. I read enough in the first few pages to know he wasn’t such a great guy (I believe the biographer’s words were something to the effect of “he was the meanest SOB I ever met”—and they were friends), so I bailed. I didn’t need examples of the meanness or SOB-ity.

I’m also reading my way through a HUGE stack of picture books from the library. Some great stuff and some really bad award winners.

So, a good month for me.

 

 
Currently reading: Chaser about a Border Collie who knows over 1,000 words, which, up until this point in history, scientists thought impossible. Loving this one. Also reading Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman. I bought my grandson a copy for Christmas and thought I’d read it, too. Also working my way through Barbra Streisand’s My Passion for Design. My goodness is she confidently controlling. It’s not the kind of personality most folks own up to. So I’m as taken by her prose as by the beauty of her home.

 

Look for reviews of these soon. Gotta catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment