Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Finds (Oct. 10)

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/?s=Friday+Finds
Click on the pic to participate!
 
Well, it's definitely autumn in Wisconsin. The leaves are in a riot of color, the nights are dipping down to freezing temps, and we've had the heat on several weeks. Makes me think about long winter days spent reading. Not that my routine changes at all in the winter, but I do experience that "hunker down" feeling.
 
Five books added to the TBR this week. Fiction, historical non-fiction, poetry, and faith.

 
I so enjoyed Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City that I had to add In the Garden of Beasts to my list of books to read.
 
I also did a search for new poetry, and I found that Mary Oliver has a new book, Blue Horses, out soon. Her poetry is very earthy and often (always?) nature-inspired.


 
I haven't read a lot of classics. I've read even less long classics, but something inspired me to add George Eliot's Middlemarch and Herman Melville's Moby-Dick to my list of books to read someday. Someday being the operative word. Maybe it's the hunkering down feeling that makes me add these this time of year?
 
I stumbled upon a new Anne Lamott book Small Victories (due out Nov. 10), which I'm looking forward to. I've read all of Lamott's nonfiction except for her last book, Stitches, which I've been saving for the right occasion. When Lamott isn't bashing Republicans (which has died down since Pres. Obama took office), she's writing about family and faith in a hilariously neurotic and always insightful way. We don't agree on a number of things, but I still enjoy reading her books.
 
What did you add to your TBR this week?


5 comments:

  1. I didn't know Anne Lamott had a new book coming out--off to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just stumbled upon it. And it looks to be a "full-length" book, not another shorty like she's published the last two autumns. Very excited.

      Delete
  2. Nice list!! I've been wanting to read Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Here are my Friday Finds: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/10/friday-finds-54.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like history and/or creepy, you'll get both with The Devil in the White City. I'm excited to read his other work now!

      Delete