Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Finds (Oct. 24)

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/?s=Friday+Finds
Hosted by MizB. Click on picture to link up!

Had a rough week with lots of emotional turmoil and "stinking thinking". Bah! I've still been reading, but I haven't been thinking a whole lot about books or writing reviews. Hopefully next week will be better.


Who can resist a man in uniform right? I've been reading a lot of nonfiction about WWII this year, and George Marshall: A Biography seems a logical choice for future reading. General Marshall was the man who ran the US campaign in WWII.

Shortlisted for the National Book Award, An Unnecessary Woman is a novel about a woman in Beirut who translates books into Arabic for her own enjoyment. A book about books, I'm in. I also tend to enjoy novels that are character studies.

Speaking of books about books. I was talking to one of my student workers the other day, and she was appalled that I'd never read Fahrenheit 451. I confessed I didn't even know the plot of the book, just that it was sci fi, a genre I enjoy when it comes to movies but I'm not sure I would when it comes to books. But when she told me what it was about, it didn't feel very sci fi to me. I guess it's sci fi because it's set in the future and is somewhat apocalyptic? Anyway, onto the list it goes for future reading. (Have you read it? Did you enjoy it?)

What did you add to your list this week?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, quite a diverse selection of reads this week!! Here are my Friday Finds for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/10/friday-finds-56.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I'm not sure what my reading comfort zone is!

      Delete