Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday Finds (3/20/15)

https://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/?s=Friday+Finds
Hosted by MizB. Click on the picture to link up!
 
Not a lot going on this week, book finding-wise. I did stumble upon a few, though, that piqued my interest.
 
In other news, I'm taking a little "spring break readcation" in which I will sit on the couch and read for most of five days straight. Delicious.


 
Earlier this year I bought "Death Comes to Pemberley" on DVD for the library, and I was the first (only?) to check it out. I really enjoyed it. It's the continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice plot adapted from the book by the same title by P.D. James. Now, as much as I enjoyed the film, the book has very mixed reviews. I wonder if a lot of the bad reviews come from Austen purists who think folks shouldn't tinker with perfection than they do from folks who think the book was poorly executed. I'm willing to give it a shot and let you know what I think.
 
The Wilderness of Ruin is a true crime book in the vein of The Devil in the White City. Set in the same time period, I believe, it's the story of a mass murdering teen in Boston. To be truthful, The Devil in the White City (and more recently, the brilliant In Cold Blood) took a lot out of me, and I'm unsure how soon I want to jump into another true crime, but when I do, this one will be it.


 
Bettyville reminds me very much of Will Schwalbe's The End of Your Life Book Club. Gay son comes home to help his aged, ailing mother. Different mothers, no books, but similar in many ways.
 
I'm unfamiliar with Mary Norris, but she is a 30-year veteran of The New Yorker's copy department. So, you can bet the woman knows her grammar and punctuation. Having been educated in technical writing and done a lot of editing in my life, I snap up these sorts of English-y books all the time (Lynne Truss, for example). And then I never read them. (Perhaps I'm unwilling to learn that how I've been doing or saying something for years is incorrect?) I am very much looking forward to Between You & Me, though. It will be released April 6.
 
What have you added to your TBR this week?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment