Thursday, April 7, 2016

What I've added to my TBR list lately

Well, it's (trying to be) springtime, and that always gives me a case of reading ennui. I want to try new genres, subjects, authors. And basically, I want to read all the books at the same time. I've been adding things to my reading list left and right. Here's a sampling... 
 
 
Not yet released:


I fell head over heals for Kate Andersen Brower's The Residence last fall, and I'm thrilled to find out she has a new book coming out in April: First Women.

Another Flavia du Luce is due out this September: Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd. I'm only on the second in the series, though.

Also due out in September is the new cookbook by Jenny Rosenstrach, How to Celebrate Everything. I was disappointed with her last one, Dinner: The Playbook, but I loved her first one, Dinner: A Love Story. I'm hoping this one is as good as the first.


Nonfiction:
 

I sort of missed Grandma Gatewood's Walk when it was released, but it sounds like something I'd like to read. It's about a grandmother who walks the Appalachian Trail (more than once) and brings much-needed attention to it. (Bill Bryson owes A Walk in the Woods to Grandma Gatewood.)

Another bird book for my stack: The Rarest Bird in the World.

Levittown is an older book about the Pennsylvania suburb built by the Levitts that excluded black families until 1957 when a Jewish family arranged for a black family to buy the house next door.


Children's:


Firefly Hollow looks like a great read about friendship and adventure.

I've always wanted to read The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter, and this slip-cased edition is beautiful.

I added Counting by 7s because I was so loving Holly Goldberg Sloan's Appleblossom the Possum this month.
 
 

Do you know about these books? I just ran across one the other day, and now I want to read them all! They're about a small team of creatures (a frog, and mouse, and something else) who build things. There are four books in this Technical Tales series; they build a car, a plane, a motorcycle (due out April 1), and a house (due out Sept. 1). I love learning how things are built and how things work. I think I'll love these.
 

Graphic (Decorating & Comic):
 

I'm always looking for good decorating books, and I've fallen in love with Living with What You Love from 2010. I was looking for ways to display my antique photo collection, and I stumbled upon this. Then, when I added it to my book list, I realized it was already on it. Three times.

I enjoyed the first Ms. Marvel comic, No Normal, so much that I want to read the second, Generation Why.


Fiction:
 

I feel silly, but I'd never heard of Jane Austen's unfinished novel, Sandition, but I'm game to try it. It's been finished by "Another Lady."

I've also added Betty Smith's Maggie-Now in an effort to read more 30+-year-old fiction.

Same with Agatha Christie's Dumb Witness. A mystery involving a dog? Yes, please.


Poetry:
 

I'd always meant to read David Lehman's collections of poem-a-day poems, written in 2000 and 2002. I've added the first, The Daily Mirror, to my list.

And I've wanted to try a book of poetry by Elizabeth Alexander, so I've added her Crave Radiance to my poetry list.


What have you added to your reading list this spring?


 



No comments:

Post a Comment