Monday, February 13, 2017

What I'm reading this week (2/13/17)


What I finished last week:


I love the Flavia de Luce mystery series. A spunky and precocious 11-year-old girl in 1950s England who solves murders when she happens upon them. That sounds unbelievable, but somehow it's believable when you're reading one. I adored the first (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie), liked but didn't love the second (The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag), and really liked the third, A Red Herring without Mustard. It's fun to solve the crime along with Flavia, and there's always humor and a bit of hair-raising danger. I hope Flavia goes on solving her mysteries forever. My rating: 4 stars.

I also finished Billy Collins' new book of poetry, The Rain in Portugal. It was pretty representative of Collins' work. Though it wasn't earthshattering, it was familiar and bright and sometimes witty (though not as much of that as usual). I enjoyed it. My rating: 4 stars.



This week I continue with:

 

I'm finding myself really looking forward to reading Eleanor & Park in the evenings, but yes, the foul language is still making me wince.

I'll be finishing Wolf Hollow tomorrow, and I'm just hoping all ends well. For a children's book, it's making me a little anxious.


Next up:



Next up, an foodie adventure to Japan with Super Sushi Ramen Express. I have a feeling there will be a trip to a teppanyaki place while I'm reading this one. Don't tell my hubby. It'll be a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment