Thursday, November 9, 2017

Nonfiction November 2017 (week 2)






Week 2, Book Pairing: This week, pair up a nonfiction book with a fiction title. It can be a “If you loved this book, read this!” or just two titles that you think would go well together. Maybe it’s a historical novel and you’d like to get the real history by reading a nonfiction version of the story.


This week I decided to give a sampling of the nonfiction and fiction books I read this year about Africa. The countries of Africa are full of beautiful and heartbreaking stories. There is so much adventure, lots of poverty, and a fair amount of laughter in these books. 

Nonfiction. I read Beryl Markham's memoir of life and aviation in Africa, West with the Night and Trevor Noah's memoir of growing up in South Africa, Born a Crime.



 
Fiction: I read the first three books in Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible, and Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing.
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about Trevor Noah's book and Homegoing. Did you like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked them both. Homegoing was a rather ambitious and well-executed novel. Noah's book was serious and funny in equal parts and well-written.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I was not a fan of The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, in part because it felt more like a folk tale than the cozy mystery I expected. I loved The Poisonwood Bible though! Such beautiful writing. And I'd love to read more about Africa, so thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I'm not sure The No. 1 series should rightfully be classified as mysteries. "Folk tale" is an interesting characterization. I think I know what you mean. I have trouble determining if they're historic or current. They seem oddly old-fashioned, but that might be a cultural thing.

      I really liked The Poisonwood Bible until the end. The long, sad, post-Africa part of the book spoiled it for me. I would have preferred the story end while the girls are still girls. I think the story got confused and veered from its true meaning in those last few chapters. Still, beautiful book, which make me want to try more of her novels.

      Delete