Wednesday, November 29, 2017

What I've added to my TBR lately

It's been awhile since I've offered up one of these posts. My list of titles is so long, that I'll have to use just the top 25.


FICTION


I'll read anything Fredrick Backman writes, so I snapped up The Deal of a Lifetime, his latest novella, ASAP (as soon as published).

I read a review of Alice McDermott's The Ninth Hour recently that made me want to try it. Long ago I really enjoyed her Charming Billy. This is historical fiction about a husband's suicide and a bunch of nuns, and I don't remember what else. I anticipate it being a quiet book, and I could use one of those right now.

And after reading Ann Hood's Morningstar, I decided to give her fiction a chance. I think The Obituary Writer sounds good.


If the cover doesn't make me want to read Their Eyes Were Watching God, nothing will. Many agree that this is a seminal work in African American literature, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Dana Perino recently recommended the Maggie Hope series, so I thought I'd give the first one, Mr. Churchill's Secretary, a shot.


NONFICTION


I've added books two through five of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small series to my TBR after the first book (of the same name). Book two is All Things Bright and Beautiful.

I love travel memoirs, and Around the World in 50 Years sounds like a good one. Its author, Albert Podell, made it his mission to visit all of the countries of the world--and it only took him 50 years.

I'm always looking for books to listen to on CD, because I've been hitting audiobooks hard this year. Born on a Blue Day is something I thought I'd like to listen to. Its author, Daniel Tammet, is an autistic savant.

Before the biography Bunny Mellon hit bookstores recently, I'd heard of Bunny Mellon but knew nothing about her. I'll soon remedy that.

I've meant to read a book by Melanie Shankle for awhile now, so I've added her latest, Church of the Small Things to my list. I'll probably try it on audio.

You know I love books about books, so I just had to buy Dear Fahrenheit 451 when it came out. It's a collection of letters the author has written to books she loves and loathes.

I'm excited to read Scott Kelly's Endurance soon. Kelly spent a record-breaking year on the International Space Station.

I love Jen Lancaster's nonfiction, and her latest, Stories I'd Tell in Bars, is high on my list of books to read soon.

I've read all of Kelly Corrigan's nonfiction, and I see she's coming out with a new book next year called Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say. Sounds interesting.

I've also added Alia Malek's The Home That Was Our Country: A Memoir of Syria to my reading list.
SELF-HELPISH


I've meant to read The 5 Love Languages for a few years now, and I think 2018 will be the year.

I've been circling the chair on The Curated Closet for months and months now. With capsule wardrobes being all the rage, I want to know if it's something I could handle (my guess is "no").

Ever since The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, every culture is offering its take on how to declutter. The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning is Sweden's contribution. I have an addiction to these books.


Last, but perhaps most importantly, I'm excited to read Everything You Need to Know about Social Media (without Having to Call a Kid) to my reading list because I know nothing. I wouldn't peg Greta Van Susteren as a social media guru, which makes me a little less nervous about the topic.


COOKING


I remember being interested in Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat when a copy came into the library several months ago. I think I'll buy my own copy to go through slowly.

Also, Joanna Gaines is coming out with The Magnolia Table in April. Yippee!
POETRY


Since reading Jill Bialosky's poetry memoir Poetry Will Save Your Life a couple months ago, I've wanted to read a book of her poems. I chose The Players.

Pablo Neruda's Love Poems was a recent Kindle deal, so I snagged it. I love his poetry.

CHILDREN'S


The fourth in the Calpurnia Tate Girl Vet series, A Prickly Problem, is due out in April.

And 50 Cities of the U.S.A., the follow-up to the fabulous The 50 States, came out this fall. I'll be working my way through this one in 2018.




No comments:

Post a Comment