Wednesday, January 13, 2021

12 Titles That Didn't Make My 2020 Best Of List

There were a number of books that I wish I could have included on my 2020 best of list, but I tried very hard to limit that to 15 titles (ten percent of what I read). So here are another 12 titles that I think are worth the read.

Death on the Nile. Agatha Christie
I wanted to read this before the movie came out, and it is officially one of my favorite Christie books, although I did sort of guess the murderer.  


Messenger of Truth, Jacqueline Winspear
This is the fourth in the Maisie Dobbs series, and it's my favorite so far (or perhaps tied with the first book). I think you get a better, deeper feel for who Maisie is and how her experience in World War I has changed her. I feel I learned more about her here than in even the first book. Plus, the crime involved art, which appealed to me.


American Dirt, Jeanine Cummins
I read this early in the year, almost before the anger surrounding it was at a fever pitch. I thought it was a well-written book that was sensitive to the plight of illegal immigrants. I think the criticism involving it and Ms. Cummins was unfair.


Ask Again, Yes, Mary Beth Keane
I didn't read a lot of fiction this year, but at a certain point I wanted a novel I could sink my teeth into, and this one really fit the bill. I enjoyed it very much, and I plan to read her other work.


Jackie, Ethel, Joan, J. Randy Taraborrelli
I love a good, thick, somewhat gossipy Kennedy biography, and no one delivers them like Taraborrelli. This one examines the relationships between Jackie Kennedy, Ethel Kennedy (Robert Kennedy's wife/widow), and Joan Kennedy (Teddy Kennedy's first wife). This was my fist in-depth look at Joan, and I liked her very much.




Nine Horses, Billy Collins
A strong collection of poetry. Period.


Raising Demons, Shirley Jackson
I read both of Shirley Jackson's fictionalized memoirs this year, and (spoiler alert) I made myself choose between them for the best of list. This is every bit as good as the first one, but it necessarily lacks the delight I felt having stumbled upon the first. 


Talking to Strangers, Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell is brilliant, is he not? This is up there with his best work, I think. I didn't always agree with his conclusions, but watching his mind work is fascinating.


The Accidental President, A. J. Baime
This was an excellent biography of President Truman's short rise to office and his ending the second World War. 

The Hiltons, J. Randy Taraborrelli
Another Taraborrelli book that was just excellent. You really don't have to be at all interested in the Hilton family (don't worry, there's little to no mention of Paris, but you do learn a lot about Zsa Zsa Gabor...) to enjoy this masterful biography. The audiobook was good.

Three Days at the Brink, Bret Baier
I loved this book. It's definitely my favorite of the series. Although I've read the story of President Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, and World War II a dozen times before, I still enjoyed this version. 

Wilson, A. Scott Berg
This was a superb biography of President Wilson. He really came to life. I enjoyed it on audio.


No comments:

Post a Comment