Friday, January 15, 2021

What I'm Reading This Week (1/18/21)

Last week I finished: 

Sky of Stone, Homer Hickam
I love everything Homer Hickam writes. This, the third and final memoir in his Coalwood memoir series, is as good as the previous two. Here, Homer (Sonny) returns to Coalwood the summer after his first year of college at his mother's request. Sonny's father, the coalmine superintendent, is embroiled in a battle for his job, which is the most important thing in his life, to the detriment of his family. Sonny ends up joining the union and working in the mine, both things causing ire between him and his now-separated parents. Hickam's usual intelligence, humor, and grace is present here, and I enjoyed every word. My rating: 5 stars.

Three Sisters, Three Queens, Philippa Gregory
I know nothing about Tudor England, nor have I ever been interested in that time period, but I'd put Philippa Gregory on my TBR some time ago and decided to begin with this book. I listened to this on audio, and it was a good option. I'm unsure just how accurate this historical fiction is, and generally I don't care much for historical fiction biographies, but since the 1500s are so far back, I didn't really mind it in this case. This is the story of two Tudor princesses and their sister-in-law. One sister becomes the queen of Scotland, one the Queen of France, and the sister-in-law the queen of England. My rating: 4 stars

Kitchen Yarns, Ann Hood
I love food memoirs, and this is one of the better ones I've read. Awhile ago, I read Hood's Morningstar as well as her The Obituary Writer. This is by far my favorite of the three books. In it, she shares about her Italian-American childhood in Rhode Island, her difficult marriage and divorce, single motherhood, the death of her young daughter, and how food was a touchstone throughout her life. She also shares recipes. My rating: 5 stars.


This week, I'm reading:

I'm enjoying the writing in this one, even if the plot is a little rough.


I'm also reading:

I am really enjoying this wise memoir.


My audiobook:

I'll post a review of this next week. Suffice it to say, it's not the best Kennedy biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment