Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (If you like...)

 

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html



This week’s topic: Top Ten Books If You Like X tv show/movie/comic etc. (basically any sort of other entertainment)


It’s springtime. If ever there was a time to reinvent your life, it’s spring. Trees and flowers and birds are all coming back to life. And for those of us in the north, we’re slowing coming back, too. Now is a great time to reinvent your life, to change your routine or take on a creative project. One of the best movies about undertaking a project and reinventing a life is Julie & Julia, based on the book of the same name. Interested in how other authors changed their lives—and made a book out of it? Try these titles…


All My Life for Sale, John D. Freyer

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Barbara Kingsolver

Dinner with Dad: How I Found My Way Back to the Family Table, Cameron Stracher

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia, Elizabeth Gilbert

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, Gretchen Craft Rubin


Humans of New York, Brandon Stanton

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks, Kathleen Flinn

The Know-It-All: One Man’s Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World, A.J. Jacobs

4 comments:

  1. Julie & Julia actually does fit with Wild really well! The whole women trying to figure out life thing.

    Also, I have a copy of The Know-It-All on my shelves I really need to pick up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a follow-up post including all the titles I didn't use for this top ten. I love a good project/adventure book, but I didn't realize I'd read so many!

      I think The Know-It-All is the best of Jacobs' books. They're all wonderfully gimmicky, but this one was less "out there." I think it had more heart. Plus, I learned a lot.

      Delete
  2. "The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, Gretchen Craft Rubin" actually sounds really interesting. With finals period inching closer, I might just need to read it in order not to lose my mind completely during those daunting times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a read. It's one of my absolute favorites. Rubin takes an almost clinical approach to attaining happiness, and it really works. Quite fascinating. Her second book, Happier at Home, is just as good.

      Good luck on your finals!

      Delete