Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday Finds (2/6/15)

https://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/?s=Friday+Finds
Hosted by MizB. Click on the picture to link up!
 
 
Do you know? Have you heard? A "sequel" to To Kill a Mockingbird will be released in July! Although there is some contention that Harper Lee was strongarmed into the release, it would appear she legitimately approved the book. The title is Go Set a Watchman, and it is the "original" TKAM. Apparently, and I find this geekishly fascinating, Lee's editor looked at this original manuscript and told her the real story was in the flashbacks to Scout's childhood. Lee expounded on those to create the beloved bestseller. But the original manuscript of a grown-up Scout was recently found (shortly, and suspiciously, some say, after her sister and protector's death) and will be published this year with an original print run of two million copies. I. AM. ECSTATIC.
 
 
I added two more intriguing upcoming nonfiction books this week. American Ghost is about a journalist who is determined to get to the bottom of her family's legend of a her grandmother's ghost haunting a hotel in New Mexico. I'm not really a ghost story kind of gal, but I like investigative reporting, so if the writing is good, I'm in.
 
Hammer Head is the memoir of a female carpenter. Sounds like a good read.
 
Both are due out in March.
 

 
I love my Fox News ladies, and I adore Dana Perino, who was former press secretary to President George W. Bush. I also like Gretchen Carlson who is a former Miss America. The memoirs are due out in April and June, respectively.


 
Last week I added a collection of Ogden Nash's poetry to my TBR, and I think I'm swapping it for a biography instead. Ogden Nash: The Life and Work of America's Laureate of Light Verse will hopefully give me insight into what makes this witty man tick.
 
I've also added about the only book of Sharon Olds' poetry I don't know, Strike Sparks, which is a collection covering 1980 to 2002. Olds is one of my favorite poets. Her poetry focuses on home and family, but it's not frou-frou. She recently won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for Stag's Leap
 
I love books about decluttering and organizing, so I'm adding The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up to my book list. This one might drive me nuts because the author seems even more ardent than most, but I think I'll try it anyway. Maybe it will help me get rid of more books to make room for these titles!
 
What have you added to your TBR this week?
 
 



4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, yes, yes!! I just did a blog post about the sequel for To Kill A Mockingbird. I am so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread To Kill a Mockingbird last year and remarked how truly sad it was that there will never be another Harper Lee book. Never say never!

      Delete
  2. I'm very fond of Ogdon Nash's poetry so that combined with the autobiography looks like a great choice and like all book lovers the world over I am looing forward to reading Harper Lee's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read both of these! Knowing that Harper Lee's book was written back with TKaM was, I have high hopes that it will be the same quality and evoke the feeling as the beloved classic.

      Delete