Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday Finds (4/10/15)

FRIDAY FINDS showcases the books you ‘found’ and added to your To Be Read (TBR) list… whether you found them online, or in a bookstore, or in the library — wherever! (they aren’t necessarily books you purchased).

 
This week I've added a book a book that I tried reading before, My Life in Middlemarch. Nearly the completion of Middlemarch, I am not ready for it to end, and I'm going to try this "companion" book again. I have a feeling the reason it did little to excite my interest the first time was that I hadn't read Middlemarch and had no investment in the story or the characters.
 
Another book based on a book this week is Alexander McCall Smith's Emma: A Modern Retelling. I've meant to read something by this author, though I'm probably cheating by not reading one of his mysteries.

 
I've been reading a ton of poetry this month. (It is National Poetry Month, after all.) I'm trying to get through over 900 poems I've set aside for a favorite poems volume, hopefully narrowing selections to 100 or 200 poems for my personal enjoyment. While re-reading, I ran across some Ellen Bass poems that made me want to read more by her, so I've added her most recent book, Like a Beggar, to my TBR.
 
Reading Nothing to Envy was likely enough information for me about North Korea for quite some time, but I might consider reading The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot if it gets rave reviews.
 
What's new to your list this week?



4 comments:

  1. The cover of Like A Beggarr looks interesting. Here's my Friday Finds for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/04/friday-finds-78.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry books often have the moodiest covers, I've noticed!

      Delete
  2. I am sure you will enjoy the Middlemarch companion book more after you have read the original!

    My Friday Finds: The Literary Lioness Friday Finds April 10

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete