Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Finds (4/3/15)

 
FRIDAY FINDS showcases the books you ‘found’ and added to your To Be Read (TBR) list… whether you found them online, or in a bookstore, or in the library — wherever! (they aren’t necessarily books you purchased).

 
Happy April, everyone! Hope you're enjoying spring and Easter plans and reading. This is the time of year when I want to read everything and explore new genres and ideas. My April reading list is long, but I'm looking forward to every title on it. Maybe May will have room for some of these.

 
I don't have children (though I do have adult stepchildren my age--long story), and this childless/childfree status is not one I talk about much. Mostly because no one asks. This is one topic women just don't seem to broach with each other. I'm interested to hear what others in my circumstance have to say, so I'm excited to read Selfish, Shallow, and Self-Absorbed.
 
The Folded Clock is a diary kept sort of in response to Heidi Julavits finding her girlhood diaries. (Or something like that.) I have a weakness for quiet, reflective books, which is what I anticipate this one to be.
 
I didn't discover Sherlock Holmes until late in college. And I was enthralled. I've enjoyed the old movies as well (Basil Rathbone is the only Holmes in my book, though), so I'm interested to read The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes.

 
I stumbled upon The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate which won the Newbery Honor in 2010. It's about 11-year-old Calpurnia (Callie) who becomes a junior naturalist and describes life in 1899.
 
I hesitate to even include Toddlers Are A**holes. I thoroughly enjoyed Bunmi Laditan's The Honest Toddler (originally a blog). It. Is. Hilarious. But the title of her self-published follow-up book really turns me off. The title might keep me from reading it. But if you have ever raised or known a toddler, you should check out The Honest Toddler. It perfectly captures the irrational nature and various moods of the little. It pushes the envelope with wry humor, but I don't remember it including bad language.

What have you discovered this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment