Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Finds (4/17/15)

 
FRIDAY FINDS showcases the books you ‘found’ and added to your To Be Read (TBR) list… whether you found them online, or in a bookstore, or in the library — wherever! (they aren’t necessarily books you purchased).
 
 
So, read any good books lately? I have. Though you wouldn't know it by the lack of reviews around here. I'm sorry. I'm working on it.
 
Until then, I'm still acquiring and still reading as much as I possibly can. Here is what I've stumbled upon in the last week...



 
You know by now I love my Michael Perry books. But up until now they've been nonfiction (except for that YA book I've yet to read). But now he's coming out (May 19) with a novel called The Jesus Cow. I'm not particularly taken with the plot, but his writing will engage me no doubt.
 
A couple months ago I finally watched the movie Philomena starring Dame Judi Dench. I was very impressed with it. I recently caught wind that there's a book telling the son's story, so I'm interested in reading it.
 
Alphabetical is the biography of the alphabet. I think. (It seems to be a little scattered in its approach which kind of appeals to me.) I love books about books and books about words, so I'll have to check this one out.
 
 
 
I've been reading more poetry during this National Poetry Month than I ever have before. I ran unto some Deborah Garrison poems from her first collection, A Working Girl Can't Win (about being a career woman) that made me look for subsequent books by her. She only has one more: The Second Child (about having children), which I'm now excited to read.
 
I've never read Maxine Kumin poetry by itself, though her poems show up in every anthology I've ever read. I've decided to buy a good anthology of her old and new poems to study her more in depth, and I've chosen Where I Live which includes poems from 1990-2010.
 
While looking for Maxine Kumin poetry, I ran across her memoir, The Pawnbroker's Daughter, to be released in July. It's very short (160 pages), which should make for an interesting memoir.


 
And last but not least, I recently breezed through The Penderwicks, the first in a series of four children's books (the fourth was released a couple weeks ago) about a family of four sisters. I enjoyed the characters so much I want to pick up the others: The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, The Penderwicks at Point Mouette, and The Penderwicks in Spring.


What is on your TBR these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment