Sunday, June 1, 2014

May 2014 Recap

 
 

It would appear that May was not a great month for reading. Even though I took three days off to participate in the Bout of Books read-a-thon, I only finished five books. Some folks read more pages in a day than I did in three! Am I really that slow of a reader? Are others really that fast?

On the up side, I did read two 5-star books this month.

Another up side, I did a massive clean-out of my library and came up with over 100 books to get ride of. This gives me lots of space for new treasures. And letting go of books I didn't enjoy or will never read frees up my mind to explore new topics.

So, perhaps May wasn't such a bad month for all things bookish after all.

Nonfiction


 
The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown

satisfying



Moneyball, Michael Lewis

economics-y

 

Fiction

 
The Signature of All Things, Elizabeth Gilbert

superb

Memoir


 

 
Glitter and Glue, Kelly Corrigan
 
lacking
 


After Visiting Friends, Michael Hainey

heartfelt
 


I'm currently reading:


I'm really enjoying The Ministry of Guidance Invites You to Not Stay. It's about an Iranian-born man who moves with his wife and son to Iran for a year. Good writing, and he does a fine job of exposing the idiosyncrasies and contradictions of Iranian government and culture. (He spends a whole chapter explaining Iranian sulking for example.)

Still. Reading. Mary. Poppins. Having a hard time getting into it, I guess.

For June I have plans to read a lot of shorter, easier books to thin out the TBR shelf a little. And I hope to finally finish Mary Poppins. I also want to finish writing reviews for all the picture books I've read lately.





 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment