Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bout of Books Updates




Thursday update: Thursday meant back to work. No more read-cation. I logged my usual 50 pages (55 actually, cause I'm all that). Destiny of the Republic is great. I may be able to finish it Friday, but it's not likely as our grandson is coming over. That means Shark Week episodes from the DVR, hot dogs, and scary movies. Not much time for Grandma to read.

Wednesday update: On Wednesday, I logged another 160 pages: 130 in Destiny of the Republic and 30 in Bright Wings. I'm over the moon for Destiny of the Republic. Who knew James Garfield had such a great story?! Bright Wings, however, is not as good as expected. Most of the poems are the dry, brittle kind. Wednesday was the last of my three days off, so from here on out, it'll be 50 pages a day. *sigh* It was so good while it lasted.

Tuesday update: Yesterday I finished Margarita Wednesdays. I wasn't sure what I felt like reading after that. Margarita Wednesdays was a good story, and I couldn't find what felt like a good book to follow that with, one that would also keep me interested for a whole day of reading. I finally decided on Destiny of the Republic. Something serious and historical hit the spot. I also began Bright Wings, a book of bird poems. All told, I read 180 pages yesterday.

Monday update: I finished the book I was reading last week (Behind the Curtain) on Saturday, so I got to start a fresh book Monday morning. I read 160 pages of Deborah Rodriguez's Margarita Wednesdays. I was saving it for the read-a-thon because I was really looking forward to reading it. It's the follow up to her Kabul Beauty School, in which she leaves Afghanistan for Mexico. It's a nice fluffy read by a very personable writer. I'm really enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there was a follow-up to Kabul Beauty School! Interesting.

    Happy Bout of Books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although few books can hold a candle to Kabul Beauty School for me, Margarita Wednesdays was a friendly summer read. I recommend it.

      Delete
  2. Speedy progress!! I've only read one book so far-- it was one I've been looking forward to for 2 YEARS and it turned out just... okay... not the best feeling for #boutofbooks! Nevertheless, will keep reading and all the best to you!

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate it when that happens! I try to tell myself not to save books, but I never listen. Hope things look up for you during the rest of the read-a-thon.

      Delete