Thursday, September 18, 2014

From Bathing Suit to Ice Skates, Flora is Back!



One of the children's picture books that delighted me most last year was Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle. I'm not generally a fan of books with no words, but this one I loved. It's the story of little Flora who performs a ballet-of-sorts with a flamingo. It is a 2014 Caldecott Honor Book, and it has it all: interactive flaps, gorgeous and fun illustrations, expressive emotion.

And it is also pink, pink, PINK.

I loved it so much I actually bought a copy. And I don't have children.

 

Well, coming September 30, Flora takes to the ice with a penguin pal in Flora and the Penguin. And this one? Blue, blue, icy blue.

The book's not even out yet, and I'm already looking forward to more Flora books. How I hope Flora "Tangos with a Toucan" and "Sambas with a Stork" and "Congas with a Cockatoo."

I could go on all day. I hope Ms. Idle can.
 
So, if you're looking for a book for a sweet little girl in your life, keep Flora in mind. She's spirited, determined, and full of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment