Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday Finds (July 18)

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/weekly-events/
Click to play along.
 
 
Not as many this week as last week. Good thing, because my TBR list can't take much more!
 
 
First off, some presidents.
 
Destiny of the Republic was recommended this week by Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness. It sounds perfect for me. It's safe to say I know nothing about James Garfield.
 
I believe I found His Excellency: George Washington while lurking around on someone's Goodreads pages (how creepy is that?). I'm a sucker for any book about a president with a painted portrait on the cover.
 

 
And now for some lighter fare.
 
I own both of William Alexander's books about food: The $64 Tomato and 52 Loaves. And for some reason, I haven't read either of them. His third book, Flirting with French, due out Sept. 16, is at least as intriguing as it covers another of my passions: language.
(I also find myself oddly attracted to books having to do with France.)
 
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I haven't read anything by Alexander McCall Smith, but I've read such good things about this series, I thought I might try the first book. Someday.
 
Okay, don't laugh, but I love the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I'm at least a generation removed from its intended audience, but something about that movie, those characters, really spoke to me. I figured the book would be a fun little romp.
 
And that's it. Just five books.
 
What have you added to your TBR list this week?



 

5 comments:

  1. He has so many series. I can't believe how prolific he is. Normally I don't care for books set in Africa, but I'm willing to try again with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destiny of the Republic is really engrossing--I knew very little about about President Garfield before I read it, but the book is about so much more than just his presidency/assassination. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that. I'm definitely going to have to read it. Soon I'll have a whole "presidents" bookcase!

      Delete
  3. A lovely choice of books, I know my daughter loved The Sisterhood of The Travelling Pants too. Here are my FF http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/friday-finds-july-18/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the book won't feel too YA, because, to me, the movie really didn't feel like it was for kids.

      Delete