Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Finds (July 25)

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/?s=Friday+Finds
Click to join in.


Time to share another week's worth of intriguing titles. My TBR list is exploding, but as I always say: "Books keep." Too bad bookshelf space is finite, though.

Lots of nonfiction this week...



Elephant Company was released last week. It's the true story of a man who develops a kinship with Burmese elephants in the 1920s and uses them to carry out covert missions during World War II. This one has Hollywood film written all over it.

I love books that deal exhaustively with one small part of history. Liberty's Torch is one of those. It's the true story of how the Statue of Liberty was built and came to America. (Apparently the whole "gift from the French" story is a myth....)

One of my favorite books--and one of the first biographies I ever read--was Madame Curie. So I've finally added Marie Curie and Her Daughters to my TBR list.


 
Neil Armstrong: A Life of Flight was released earlier this month. It's written by Armstrong's longtime friend and space journalist, Jay Barbree. In light of the controversy over The Mockingbird Next Door being, perhaps, not quite as "authorized" as the author suggests, I am skeptical of this one. Armstrong was a very private, unassuming man. Is Barbree exploiting their friendship writing this?
 
I've been bumping into The Good Nurse on Amazon for awhile now, and I finally checked it out. It sounds good and quite similar to Five Days at Memorial which I finished this month. It's the story of a nurse who murders hundreds of his patients and the investigators who bring him to justice.


As most readers, I love books about books. When I read about Raising a Reader on Sunlit Pages, I immediately added it to my list. (And I don't even have a reader to raise!) It's short, and I love that cover.

The Light between Oceans is a novel about a lighthouse caretaker and his wife who discover a dead man and live baby in a boat on their shore. The wife, who is having trouble bearing children begs her husband to keep the child to raise as their own. It's an intriguing plot, but I just hope it ends well.


And now for two "they wore me down" books. I've read dozens of reviews for The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and Code Name Verity, and since I love books about books and books about WWII, I've added them to my list of books to read because everyone else is.


What did you add to your reading list this week?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, believe me, it would be best right now if I found LESS books to share. My "short list" is getting long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to how you'll like The Light Between the Oceans, I tried reading it and couldn't get into, so gave up on it about 100 pages into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. I read so little fiction that it has to be really good to keep me. Before I commit to it, I think I'll read the entire Amazon preview.

      Delete