Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 2014 Recap


While I didn't read a lot of books in July, the books I read were stellar. Everything from a hospital in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to the death of President Kennedy to life in North Korea to one of the best novels of the English language. It reminds me what my reading should be: quality over quantity.

One-word descriptions provided until real reviews are up.


Five Days at Memorial, Sheri Fink
thought-provoking

Killing Kennedy, Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
compelling

Relish, Lucy Knisley
average

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
phenomenal
 
Nothing to Envy, Barbara Demick
heartrending
 
 
 
Going into August, I'm reading:
 

I'm still reading Bomb, not the best book for picking up and putting down. I'm losing the narrative thread, but I'm enjoying the information.
 
And Andre Agassi's autobiography. Wow. Am I ever glad I picked up this book! It's ten a hundred times better than your typical celebrity memoir, and I'm enjoying it SO much. You've got to read this book. It's about so much more than tennis or being a star. Agassi is a deep thinker, and the book explores personality and identity and search for self. Very, very good.
 
So, tell me, how did your July shape up? What were the books that will stay with you?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment