Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays (authors that appear most on my shelves)

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
Click to join the fun!



This week's topic: Ten Authors I Own the Most Books From

 
First, I put together a list off the top of my head, and then I checked my book inventory list. I was only right about a small handful when I tried to make the list without looking.
 

Mary Engelbreit (15 books)
I love me some Mary Engelbreit. I'm not as much into her art as I was 10 or 15 years ago, but I still love her decorating books--especially the ones that feature her various homes over the years.

Anne Lamott (12 books)
I own all of Lamott's nonfiction (including two copies of Bird by Bird) and at least half of her fiction books. They were almost all signed by her in person.

Mary Baker Eddy (11 books)
As a Christian Scientist (not to be confused with Scientologist), I own all of the books by Mary Baker Eddy. Many of them I own several copies of. I buy various editions whenever I find them in used book stores. I'm especially fond of the old leather-bound editions. But they aren't just for having, they're for studying.

Amy Tan (7-9 books)
I haven't read an Amy Tan book for years, but I have most of them, and most are signed. I own two copies of The Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife.

Maya Angelou (7 books)
I own most of Angelou's autobiography/nonfiction repertoire. I adored I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, but I was so disgusted by what I learned about her life in the follow-up book that I haven't returned to the series.

Naomi Shihab Nye (7 books)
Nye is one of my favorite poets. There are still a couple volumes I don't own, though.

Agatha Christie (7 books)
Seven Christie's is a drop in the bucket when you consider how many books she wrote. I also own her autobiography, but I have yet to read it.

Jane Austen (6-11 books)
I own all of the Jane Austen books, of course, but I own several copies of several of them.

Sharon Olds (6 books)
Olds is another of my favorite poets. I should try harder to fill out my collection of her books.

Bill Bryson (6 books) / Billy Collins (6 books, editor of 3 of those)
And a tie goes to the Billys. I love Bill Bryson, but I haven't read most of the books I own by him. Billy Collins is probably my favorite poet. I only own three of his collections, plus another three that were edited by him.
 
So, there you have it. I guess it just proves that when I find a good thing, I just want to read and collect more of it.
 
Which author appears most on your shelves?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This was such a fun prompt this week!
    I've got Agatha Christie and Anne Lamott on my list (but none of my Lamott books are signed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met Anne years ago (1998, I think) when I introduced her at a university reading. She was so nervous backstage. She really is that neurotic in real life! :)

      Delete