Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (blogging confessions)

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
Click to play along.

 
This week's topic: Top Ten Blogging Confessions


1. I don’t remember Jane Austen characters.
I love Austen, but her characters blend together for me.

2. I don’t trust books that only come out in paperback.
Why do some books only get released in paperback, anyway? Do publishers not expect them to sell well, so they go straight to paper?

3. I don’t like how we've changed the definition of "reading" to include listening to audiobooks.
I mean, if I'm also cleaning the toilet, I'm not reading, I'm listening.

4. I never read the quoted selections from a book in a book review.
I used to. But when I realized I was forcing myself to do it, I quit. I think they are too often so removed from the story that they don't really work for me.

5. I don’t like to read outside.
The sun is too bright, or the shade is too cool.

6. I don’t read the notes section of non-fiction books.
Busted! I don't like to break up the narrative flow by looking things up in the back. And if I read the notes after reading a chapter, they don't make sense. I guess I just have to forgive myself and move on.

7. I don’t even want to understand how someone who works in a library doesn’t read.
I mean, come on, shouldn't that be a prerequisite?

8. I love reading the Acknowledgements page(s) in books.
Some writers write a mean Acknowledgments page. Don't skip the Acknowledgements in a Laura Hillenbrand book.

9. I base my picture book selection on the covers.
I guess I never got past first grade in that respect.

10. One reason I don’t check out more library books is that they’re beat up and grody.
I'm a reading princess. I like a nice pristine copy. I buy almost all the books I read.


So, fess up, what are your blogging confessions?

8 comments:

  1. And I thought I was the only one who read the Acknowledgements! I find them fascinating. And LOL on #10 -- a "reading princess" -- I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read the Notes, but I read the Acknowledgements, what does that say about me?! I've always felt like I owe the author to read their Acknowledgements.

      Delete
  2. ohhh hahahaha #2, I have had those same suspicious feelings about paperback-only releases! It's like the book equivalent of straight-to-DVD movie releases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone in my suspicions. And great analogy--straight-to-DVD!

      Delete
  3. +JMJ+

    ROFL! This is hilarious!

    I'm kind of with you on audiobooks, which put an extra medium between us and the author. I find them comparable to movie adaptations, so it makes me smile a little when an audiobook reader/listener complains about the movie. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly, an extra medium between the reader and author. To me, reading is giving a book my complete attention. It's not something I necessarily want to multitask. (Although maybe I'd get more housework done if I did!) The movie adaptation analogy is a good one. I'd not thought of it in quite that way before.

      Delete
  4. Oooooooooh, your Austen confession! I've read 5 of her 6 books and the only characters I can keep straight are from Pride and Prejudice (because it's so culturally pervasive) and Northanger Abbey (because I read it like a month ago.) Emma, Sense & Sensibility, and Persuasion have all blended together in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh. I can't even keep the Pride & Prejudice characters straight. At least I remember the plots, I guess.

      Delete